Sunday, March 20, 2011

Poker Night & Seafood Scoops Recipe

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  It was a very busy, but fun, weekend here.  The kids had off of school Friday, so Snuggle Bunny had a friend sleep over Thursday night.  They spent all day Friday jumping between playing Kinect games, or hopping on their laptops to check on their Club Penguin accounts.  Friday was Whirling Dervish's first lacrosse scrimmage.  The team looked good, but I'll be honest, I spent the bulk of the time catching up with some of the moms that I haven't seen since the end of the travel season instead of watching the game.

I spent the bulk of Saturday in the kitchen prepping, cooking, and cleaning for the poker game that night.  I shared the fitted table cover that I whipped up for our dining room table on a break from the kitchen action.  Computer Genius said that it worked out great.  I'll have to take his word on it, because we draw for seats, and I sat at the other table the whole night.  This is what had me in the kitchen all day.



White Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Double Chocolate Cookies(in the cookie jars)

Ginger Turkey Purses & Deviled Eggs

Cocktail Weiners in homemade Puff Pastry

Seafood Scoops(recipe below)

Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake aka "Loser's Cheesecake."  I always make a cheescake for these gatherings, and it doesn't get cut until the first person is bumped off the table.  i.e. "so I lost, but at least I get cheesecake."  (not me naturally, I like to leave the table with money in my pocket.)

Additionally I made sweet & sour meatballs in my little crockpot, cut and prepped veggies for a veggie platter, made a shrimp platter(which I totally forgot to put out,) and set out cheese (in the thrifted cheese tray,) pepperoni, and crackers.

It was a fun night in which there was a lot of hugs, laughs, and stories told.  And yes, I did leave the table with money in my pocket - third place money to be exact.  I'd have pictures of the guests, laughing around the table, but once that first wine bottle was uncorked, I put down my camera and just enjoyed the party.

And here's that recipe for the seafood scoops:
Mix together 6oz(half a package) of imitation crab or lobster, diced, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 finely diced red onion, a small squeeze of sriracha hot sauce, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.  Fill Tostitos scoops with a rounded teaspoon of the filling.  Bake at 400 until the tops of the filling has started to get some color - about 15-20 minutes.  So super easy, and a real crowd pleaser.  One note for my GF readers - a lot of imitation seafood uses wheat starch as a thickener, make sure yours uses potato starch.  The imitation lobster that I buy uses potato starch.

Thanks for popping in and partying with me.  Speaking of parties, the Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays is still in full throttle.  Check it out here.  You can continue to link up through Thursday.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Walnut Avenue's Foodie Friday.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how to play poker but with a feast like this...I'd learn! ;)

    Have a great week!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I say this every time I comment but I always leave here hungry!!! Looks delicious as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun evening. All of those delectable pastries and appetizers look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a spread! I grabbed on of those oreo cookies, next tie I want an invite! Thank you for entering my giveaway, good luck!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great night! Poker night at your house must be a rockin good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the cookie jars! and your mousey. and the loser cake. and the mango pastry. omg can you tell i have a sweet tooth. hope you had some leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing. Such a nice change of pace than your average meaty fare!

    This is PERFECT for my new weekly linky party - Foodie Friday! If you got a sec, please link up!

    Found you on Dittle Dattle!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!