Saturday, December 18, 2010

Pure Decadence

I've been seeing these Brownie Covered Oreos absolutely everywhere in blogland.  Jenny at Picky Palate created these little drops of Pure Decadence.
Now I know all my gluten-free readers are calling me a giant tease, but I wouldn't do that to you.  These had been on my mind since I first came across them.  Today I figured why not?  Let's give it a try.  Obviously this wouldn't be as easy as dipping an Oreo in a box mix of Duncan Hines, but I like a challenge.  Now we don't have any special Christmas edition Oreos in the gluten-free world, but we do have sandwich cookies with white creme.  I used Glutino's brand sandwich cookies.
For the brownie coating, I mixed 1/2 cup(1 stick) melted butter, 1/2 cup applesauce, 2/3 cup agave nectar, 1/4 cup marshmallow creme, 1/3 cup melted chocolate and 1 tbsp vanilla in the bowl of my stand mixer.
In a separate bowl, I whisked together 3/4 cup garbanzo & fava bean flour, 1/4 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup arrowroot flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 tsp salt, 2tsps baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp xanthan gum.
I mixed the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and then added 1/2 cup very hot water.  Be careful if you do not have the splash guard on your machine.  Start the machine up slowly until the water has incorporated then speed it up until the batter is smooth.
I dipped each oreo in the brownie mix, making sure it was coated on all sides
and placed each in a liberally greased muffin pan.
I placed the muffin pan in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.  Run a plastic knife around each brownie coated cookie when you pull the pan out of the oven.

Turn them out of the pan and let cool.  They should just pop right out of the pan.

You can eat them as is(very yummy, I had to eat one at this point for quality assurance) or when they've cooled you can drizzle on some melted white chocolate and sprinkles.
That's of course what I did.  These'll be going into school for the Staff Appreciation trays.  I'm on the Hospitality Committee and volunteered to bring in a few trays of cookies.
Thanks for popping in and enjoying this diet buster with me.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesday and Remodelaholic's Recipe Swap.

3 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I am coming to your house for Christmas!!! I could eat them all!!!

    I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. I have not seen the gluten free sandwich cookies like that before. Now I am going to have to find some. My kids would love these!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!