Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread Stars

There's nothing better than the smell of gingerbread baking.  Cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg...mmmmm.  The thing about gingerbread is you can roll them thin and bake them a tad longer for gingersnap type cookies or roll them a bit thicker and bake for less time for more of a chewier cookie.  Either way, they're delicious.  We'll be doing gingerbread men for Snuggle Bunny's class party, so today I felt like making sugared stars.
I creamed together 1 cup vegetable shortening, 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses, 2 cups light brown sugar.  I then added 3 eggs.
In a separate mixing bowl, I whisked together 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour, 1/2 cup soy flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1 cup almond flour, 2 tsps xanthan gum, 2 tsps baking soda, 2 tsps ground ginger, 2 tsps ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, and 1/2 tsp salt.
I added the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until a dough formed.  Just like with the sugar cutout cookies I made here, I split the dough, patted it into rectangles, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and chilled for an hour.  After chilling the dough, I rolled it out and cut out stars.  I sprinkled the tops of the stars with some turbinado sugar.
 I baked them at 350 for about 10 minutes.  They turned out just like the real deal.
Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to Joyful Housewife's Mouthwatering Monday, The Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesday, and Simply Sweet Home's Christmas Recipe Swap Party.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not usually a big fan of ginger cookies, but these look great and now I'm in the mood for one!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!