Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Antiquing

I told you how Computer Genius makes me a handmade valentine every year.  Well after giving me the glitter covered card, he surprised me by telling me that he took a half day off of work so that he could spend the morning strolling antique shops with me.  Does the man know me or what?  This is probably the best, most creative gift he's ever given me.

So after breakfast, we headed out for a morning of antiquing.  I wish I had brought my camera along so I could show you all of the beautiful furniture and things that I didn't bring home, but instead you'll have to just get a look at what did make it into the car.

I found these silver-plate trays for $1 each.  They were pretty tarnished,

but a few minutes getting rubbed with some Rokeach silver polish,
 

and they shined right up(the one in front still needs buffing.)

I found this silver-plate(the tag said silver, but I'm pretty sure it's plate) electric buffet warmer for $10.95 at a booth having a 25% off sale, so I snagged it for just $8.21.

This little covered cheese tray was sort of a splurge at $7.95, but how cute is it?  Seriously I couldn't leave without it.

Animal lovers may want to avert their eyes for this next one.  The big ticket item of this antiquing foray was a rabbit fur jacket.  The sales tag said it was from a Philadelphia estate and the jacket label is Split Ends Ltd.  So it's not real high end and it dates this jacket to the late 70's - 80's.  The fur is so soft and warm, I literally couldn't stop touching it.  Yes, I was petting this jacket.

So how much was my fur coat?  $35.   

Score!  I didn't pick up any furniture on this foray, because seriously it was all too nice and nothing could use a coat of paint.  This shopping trip was a stroke of genius on CG's part.  It'll be hard to top this next year.

Thanks for popping in and listening to me brag about my finds & wonderful husband.  I'm sharing this with Common Ground's Vintage Inspiration Fridays and My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday.
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Awww...such a sweet thing for your husband to do. I love the buffet warmer. Such a bargain! Can I touch the coat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Coat!!~ Love the silver and the buffet warmer, that is great!!~ XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment. I am so glad I have found yours. It is full of goodies. Love that Valentine. This weekend I helped my granddaughter make 30 HOMEMADE and ORIGINAL one for her kindergarten class and teachers. It was such fun. I TRY to make everything I give away. Hugs. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool haul! You have an honest to goodness cherub in your life.

    I tend to collect silver items too, but if I were to run across that cheese keeper, I'd be one happy girl. That is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a PERFECT Valentine's Day gift! I love that you got to go antiquing! And you found some incredible bargains. Nice work!

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that little cheese tray but that's very much my style. Hubby calls it smart-arsy decorating. That was sweet that you two were able to spend a nice day together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great finds! Love them all. I'm most impressed that your hubby would think to take a day off to shop with you. That's what I call romantic.
    Thanks for visiting me today!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good bargains! I love the classic simplicity of the trays.
    But more important, what a great date! If your hubby taking time off work is as rare as when mine does, it was a really special thing for him to do! Mine did that for my 50th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet gift...love that darling cheese dish! Thanks so much for coming to my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! I hope to get out today but might be motivated to get some cleaning done since the sun is shining instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds! I love the silver dishes, there is so many fun things you can use those for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great finds. I love all that silver. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the party. I hope you link up again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had a good hunting day! Love the silver and the cute little cheese server. Thanks for sharing your goodies;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like a really fun time. Love the silver items but the little cheese dome is too cute for words! I bet your jacket is soft! Thanks for joining JFF this week! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. You found some great stuff!! That little cheese keeper is the same one my mom had when I was young. It's adorable!! And the silver server...what a score! Pet your jacke for me too ok? *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really loving that silver! Great vintage finds---enjoyed your photos and captions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What great finds. Love the silver. I have just purchased a few silver things at the thrift store. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet hubby you have! Sounds like you had a good day bargain hunting! Love the cute little cheese server and the silver trays. I recently purchased two fur jackets I found at a thrift store but I donated them to animal rescues. They use the furs to warm and comfort orphaned and injured wildlife.

    Thanks for sharing your day with us!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the buffet warmer that was a great deal. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it great when our hubbies give us the gift of their time!? Great silver pieces, love that chaffing dish.
    Thanks for linking up with VIF!
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  21. The silver things are lovely and I adore the electric buffet warmer! What a great piece to have when you entertain. the jacket looks so warm and I could see it with dress up clothes as well as jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great Valentine present your husband gave you and some great finds :)

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!