Friday, February 25, 2011

Updating with Pillows

It's official - it's a snow day from school.  They started with a 2 hr delay, but the mix of sleet and snow is just too much and they've canceled school for the day.  I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating:  This has been a ridiculously long winter.  Long winters have me looking for spring, which means updating the inside of the house for a bit of flowers and sunshine.  Remember the lemon fabric I used to make that fun, girly apron?  I used some of it to make a pillow cover to dress up our living room sofa.


I just made a simple pillow cover like I showed you with this reindeer pillow tutorial.  I like making pillow covers vs pillows, because they store easier flat and can be rotated while keeping the pillow inserts out.  Plus you only have the expense of one set of inserts and I'm cheap frugal.

That wasn't quite enough spring for my sofa, so I looked around for some inspiration.  I've been seeing floral embellished cushions everywhere like this one from Pier 1.
Not one to spend $39.95 on a pillow, I made one from some satin in my fabric stash.  I made a whole bunch of the fabric roses that I showed you how to make here and attached them to another pillow cover with the tails left from stitching the roses together.

Here's the sofa before.

And After.

Thanks for popping in and sewing with me.  I'm linking this up with Just a Girl's Show and Share Day, and Domestically Speaking's Countdown to Spring Party.

Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFunky Junk's Saturday Nite SpecialThe DIY Show Off
A Marvelous MessVisit thecsiproject.comPoint of View: A Creative Collaboration,a creative collaboration,point of view,point of view a creative collaboration

16 comments:

  1. Looking good! I have been changing some pillows too...it always makes such a difference in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wondeful and full of spring ~ Just what I need amidst all of this snow. Have a Happy Friday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the Peter, Paul and Mary song, Lemon Tree. :-) The song is a little sad, but I love PP&M.

    Wish it was spring! School was canceled here, too. Not that it matters to me, my son is grown. It makes a stressful commute for those who must be out, though.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring! So ready for it. They're both beautiful. You did a great job! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pillow! I'm redoing my bedroom in gray and white and this pillow would be perfect for it. I'm ready for spring too. We've had 3 snow days in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive rose pillow...Reminds me of Sabjimata's rose cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love pillows!
    www.dashing-home.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I too have started making pillow cases instead of buy pillows each time! I would be honored if you linked up to "Amaze Me Monday" blog party starting tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rose pillow. Very pretty. I just did a pillow in burlap. A pillow can make such a difference and it's so easy to make yourself.

    Visiting from DIY Showoff

    http://prudentlypaintedvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That turned out beautiful. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I've been wanting to make some of these myself; I can't wait!! I love making/using pillow slipcovers, too. It's just so easy to mis things up whenever you feel like it! I'm also in upstate NY, and I can't wait for spring! LOL!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    ~Terry
    http://mossandclover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that green floral pillow. That texture is so fantastic!! I would love it if you would link this up to my blog party, A Marvelous Mess. At each party I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute pillows! I love the one with the flowers especially. Makes me think 'spring'. :) Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wooooow....aside from red is one of my alltime colors, your pillow looks BETTER than the Pier 1 one that I have been eying for months! :D It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the different colors and textures you used. The bright yellow is fun! I am having a PILLOW FIGHT on my blog {contest for charity} and would love it if you would consider joining us! Link below!

    Carlee
    http://www.ladybirdln.com/2011/05/pillow-fight-for-causepart-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!