Sunday, February 13, 2011

DIY Lego Table

Snuggle Bunny loves playing with Legos.  He can sit and create for hours.  The problem is that he creates Lego cities on the floor. So what's wrong with that?  When Whirling Dervish tidies up the rec room(his chore,) he either vacuums up the expensive little plastic blocks or destroys whatever SB was working on tossing it into one of the Legos tubs, leading to a screaming, crying fit. (If I have to empty the vacuum bag searching for the one tiny moving piece that will make the golden pyramid open, that is only sold in a $70 kit, I may be the one throwing the fit.)

I've been trying to broker a solution for the feuding boys for months.  SB will usually put toys away when he's through with them, but the issue is that he is never really through with Legos.  He's always still working on it.  I tried having SB place whatever he was working on, on the air hockey table between creating sessions, but that meant if WD and his friends wanted to play air hockey they'd have to move & possibly break his "extra special fortress/castle/city, etc."  I looked around for a better solution and found it.

Computer Genius had this squarish end table since his college days.  It was heavily grained oak and covered in stains and scratches.  And it was perfect.  Well, not perfect, but perfect for a makeover.

Just like with the Craigslist nightstand, I sanded, primed, and painted it.  I then  set 4 base plates on the table and had CG cut some MDF to rim the table and keep the Legos on the table.  Do you see the legos that I used to connect the base plates together?  That's to keep them square and spaced correctly.





He then routed the edges and I painted them, and attached them to the table with nails and glue.  I just set the base plates in the recess with no glue, so that he can change them out.  If he's working on a ship, he'll need a blue base plate.


Don't you love what a little paint can do?  I love that this table cost me nothing, but a $3 can of spray paint which is so much cheaper than the $100 Lego tables you can find at the Toy Store.

Thanks for popping in and painting with me.  I'm linking this up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday, Just A Girl's Show and Share Day, and the T-Shirt Diaries' Upcycled Awesome Party.  And don't forget to head over to Debbiedoo's Newbie Party.






Keeping It Simple
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

PhotobucketDomestically Speaking

21 comments:

  1. Wow!! What a fantastic idea! My almost-twelve-year-old still loves legos (his latest project is a stop-motion lego film), and he has legos strewn all over the basement floor. I've vacuumed up more lego pieces (flinching when I hear that sound) than I want to admit. I may have to copy your table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea!~ My nine year old is still obsessed with his legos...it is an awesome hobby. I love the table, very creative idea! thanks for joining in on the party. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Great job on the table! I'm your "neighbor" at MM - BNOTP and am following you. I'd love for you to visit my blog. I have 2 boys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it...So cute and practical. We have lots of Legos around here, too!

    Funny that yours and my youngest are both 'bunnies.' I almost copied your son's name without knowing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out SO great...we paid a pretty penny for a table for our grandkids! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fun creative idea I love it! Stopping by from Debbiedoos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! I'm here from Debbie's party, and your table is GENIUS! Awesome job!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an awesome transformation! And very functional, too :) Btw, I'm your 67th follower and I'm hoping you'll follow me, too, for more mutual blog visits. Thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO CUTE! I found you over at Debbie Doo's Party! I am your newest follower!

    http://mycreativeescapes.blogspot.com/

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son could sure use something like this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That worked out really good. My kids had Lego's many years ago before they were sold in kits. It was just one big pile of Lego's. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME!! What a creative and useful idea!
    ~Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute idea! Love it. :)
    http://humblehomemaking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very, very clever. Something I can share with my son someday when he has kids. Sure wish I had thought of it many years ago. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have 4 boys who would all LOVE this! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is total awesomeness!!! We are going to Legoland soon and I know that we'll be coming home with tons of legos. AND I can get base plates there! Thanks so much for the tutorial and idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a table in my garage and I'm going to do this with it!! Perfect for my son...hopefully he keeps the legos off the floor...ouch...ouch on my feet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a table to do this to but have yet to get to it. Too many projects, so little time. Yours turned out great!

    Denise
    Extreme Personal Measures

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this--now I'm going to be keeping my eye out at Goodwill for a little table.

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!