Tuesday, February 1, 2011

7 Layer Bars

Those of you who have been following my blog know that I love to bake.  I bake a lot - at least 3 or 4 times a week.  So it's no surprise that the oven gets fired up during a snow day.  Today I made classic 7 layer bars with Snuggle Bunny while Whirling Dervish was out making money clearing driveways.

These bars start with a graham cracker crust.  I like to use these graham crackers from The Grainless Baker.  They come in perfect squares for s'mores making.  I used 20 of these graham crackers, but if you're not gluten-free you can use 10 traditional graham crackers.

I put the graham crackers in a ziplock bag and handed my assistant my meat tenderizer flat side down.  SB had a blast whacking away at the bag, pulverizing the crackers into crumbs.   Alternatively, you can use a rolling pin or crush them in your food processor.

I melted 6 tablespoons of butter, poured it into the bag of crumbs, and smooshed them around until all of the crumbs had been coated with the butter.  I then pressed the crumbs into the bottom of a parchment lined 9x13 baking dish.

SB sprinkled 1 cup of butterscotch chips over the crust,

followed by 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips,

1 cup of walnuts,

 and 1 cup of white chocolate chips.

1 can of sweetened condensed milk is poured ontop, followed by 1 cup of shredded coconut.

I baked these at 350 for 30 minutes.  After I pulled them out of the oven I let them cool before cutting them up into squares.

If you were wondering why I always line my pans even the nonstick ones, this is why.  After the bars have cooled, I can slide the whole thing out of the pan to slice up.  It's much easier to do without the sides of the pan interfering and none of the bars get mushed up trying to get them out of the pan.
Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to Joyful Housewife's Mouthwatering Mondays and Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
Anything Related

7 comments:

  1. They look delish! Your helper is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks so good! Snuggle Bunny is so cute. Andy liked to help in the kitchen when he was that age. He is excited about the winter storm- planning to barbecue tomorrow afternoon if classes are cancelled. What a nut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make these bars too but haven't made them for a while for some reason. I've never added the white chocolate chips before either, so thanks for that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what!? I mad these bars last weekend to take to a dinner party except I mad them in a tart pan with removable sides...then cut them into thin wedges (so rich) and served with a little scoop of French vanilla ice cream. Every one thought it was so elegant.
    Your assistant is super darling.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry about my typos...meant MADE not mad...ha! Better turn off the computer. Following you.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. These look amazing. I can only imagine how the flavours of all the different things meld together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I came over from Recipe Swap Sunday. This is the kind of stuff that makes my mouth water. I could eat the whole pan by myself! Yum!

    A lot of the recipes on my blog are gluten free too. One of my sons and I have food allergies.

    Thanks for sharing!

    http://nurturedfamilylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!