Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lobster Ravioli w/ Vodka Sauce

Yesterday was the start of the Chinese New Year, a holiday my family used to celebrate as a child.  We'd clean the house from top to bottom in preparation for the new year, children would get little red envelopes with money inside, and the whole family would sit down to a special feast like meal.  We no longer really celebrate the holiday with all the hoopla, but I did want to mark the day with a special meal.  The color red signifies good luck and fortune, so I thought I should make a tomato based sauce.  I decided on Lobster Ravioli with Vodka Sauce.

First I made the filling.  I used 8 oz of lobster.  You can use the fake stuff, but make sure that it uses potato starch instead of wheat starch as a binder.  I added 3oz of cream cheese, 1 sliced scallion - both the white and the green parts, and 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce.  I combined all the ingredients and set them aside.

Next I sprinkled sweet rice flour across my work surface.

I rolled out half of my wonton dough recipe until it was quite thin and cut it into 2 inch strips.  You can use a pasta roller to roll out the dough. 

 I placed a tsp of the filling 1 inch apart along the strip of dough,

 painted eggwash around each ball of filling,

and folded the dough over pressing down between each lump of filling.

I cut between each ball of filling to create the individual raviolis,

 and then crimped the edges with a fork.
I placed these in boiling water to cook.  They're done when they float.  You can keep these on oiled parchment in a 300 oven to stay warm while you make the sauce.  The sauce I made is a variation of this one from Allrecipes, except I didn't use any prosciutto(because I didn't have any in the house,) and I substituted half and half for the heavy cream.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  I'm linking this up to Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays and Lisa's Gluten-Free Food and Health Carnival.

3 comments:

  1. This looks so rich and delicious! I'm always up for trying new pasta dishes and this one looks like a winner! I'd love to spice it up with a little Old Bay and serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this on Fat Camp Friday, and it looks delicious! I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good, keep up the good work.
    Thank-you for linking up with my Food and Health Carnival.
    Have a good weekend.
    Lisa's Gluten-Free Advice and Healthy Living

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!