Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bag Lady

I'm a girl who loves purses and shoes.  I like to change out my bag often.  I have fun, bright, happy colored bags for spring, straw bags for summer, earthier colored bags for fall, and for winter sturdy leather bags.  It's been a long winter and I'm itching for spring.  I want to carry a fun, bright, happy color like Pantone's color of the year:  Honeysuckle.

The problem of course is that it's still winter.  I've been slowly trying to work my way through my fabric stash, so I thumbed through my stash looking for inspiration.  I found it.  A happy pink fabric with a honeysuckle stripe.  Unfortunately it was a lightweight cotton totally unsuited to a NY winter.  But I also found a black and grey tiger striped corduroy, the perfect weight and look for a winter bag.


I always carry a big bag, because I'm in that stage of life where I need to carry my own things like chapstick, a notebook, and a water bottle, as well as lego men, hot wheels cars, and snacks.  I cut out an 18"x32" rectangle of the corduroy, folded it in half right sides together, and sewed up the sides.


I wanted my tote to have a squared bottom so I marked the corners and sewed across them.



I cut the honeysuckle striped fabric into 2 18"x16.5" rectangles and sewed the sides and part of the bottom.  I left a 4" gap for turning the bag right side out when I sewed the lining to the bag.

One big cavernous bag is great for toting things, but little things can get lost without pockets.  I took some more of the lining fabric and sewed an 8"x10" rectangle in half right sides out because I wanted the inside of the pocket to be pretty, too.

I pinned the pocket and sewed the bottom edge before flipping the pocket up and topstitching the sides of the pocket.

I made sure to line up the stripes, because I'd go batty if they weren't lined up.

I measured my cell phone, chapstick, and keys and divided the pocket into smaller sections.

I turned the corduroy bag right side out, and pinned the lining to it with right sides together.  I pinned some upcycled black and pink leather handles that I pulled off of an old Mary Kay bag between the outside and the lining.  I sewed all along the opening and turned the bag out of the hole I left in the lining.  Leaving too small of a hole will make giving birth to your bag a lot more difficult.

After turning it right side out, I stitched up the hole in the lining, and topstitched 1/4" down around the opening. 

Here it is done.

And hanging up, you can see the honeysuckle striped lining peeking out.

 My little pop of spring peeking out from behind winter.  Thanks for popping in and sewing with me.  I'm linking this up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday, and Making the world cuter Mondays.  And don't forget to stop by Debbiedoo's Newbie Party to check out all the new blogs out there.

The Girl CreativeKeeping It Simple
Tute yourself tuesday red and whiteVisit thecsiproject.com







18 comments:

  1. What a cool bag ~ I would definitely carry this - being a bag lady myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a cool bag - makes me wish I could sew! Dropping by from Met Monday. I hope you'll come see DD2's dining room redo.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bag!!! I love your tut... Matching the stripes tells me that you are an artist with your sewing.
    Have a beautiful week and enjoy that pretty bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I just bought a new sewing machine...I'm so excited, it's not a fancy one but anything beats what I had....hopefully I'll get to try this project of yours..Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! What a great bag awesome job girl!! Hey I had some glitches in my blog and had to recreate a new one please come follow me there. noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ~Allyson~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice project. I have lots of bags for all my projects. Love the honeysuckle pink color.

    Have a great day.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic! You are so craft...thanks for joining in the party, have fun!!~ XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you through Debbiedoos. I'm also a bag freak and I love the bag you just made (I'm goping to try to copy it)! Hope you'll consider reading my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling bag! Love the colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, good job. For some reason I have been hesitant to try to make a bag. I don't know why, I guess I need to try! I found you through Debbiedoo's.

    Melanie
    You can check me out at youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm impressed! It's amazing that you can take fabric like that and make it into something so pretty. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is darling and making it reversible is so smart!!


    I am hopping around through the newbie hop to welcome everyone to blogging. I love making new bloggy friends and i especially love helping new blogger grow their following.

    Stop by my blog when you have a chance. There are so many FUN things happening over on Dandelion Wishes!!!
    We are .....
    *Taking Back Monday, one Etsy giveaway at a time. Come enter to win something awesome EVERY Monday!
    *Airing our dirty little secrets with Friday Confessional. Confess, link up, feel better...I promise!
    *Keeping it positive every weekend with My Happy List. What's on YOUR Happy List this week? Post and link up...it’s a party y'all!
    *And there are crowning’s happening for Queen for the Day...finally, the royal recognition you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could never do this myself! Brilliant idea and execution! :)

    Found your blog through Debbie's Newbie party. :)
    http://styleidoscope.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute and stylish! Thanks for linking up to "Amaze Me Monday" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute and great tutorial. Love how you used the Color of the Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that bag, you are so creative, I wish I could sew like that :) In the beginning of the year I saw that Pantone was the "IT" color. I can't wait to see it spring and summer fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how fun, fun fun!!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!