Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fabric Rose Tutorial

I promised I'd show you how I made the fabric rose on my super girly apron that I posted earlier today.  So here it is.  I start with a 2-3 ft long strip of fabric that is 3-4 inches wide.  I used the selvege edge of the fabric because I wanted the flower to look really wild.  Fold your strip of fabric almost in half(this'll help to make a full bloom) and pinch one end of it.  Tie a knot in your thread and place a stitch to hold the bottom of the flower together.

Start turning the bloom, pinching the fabric occasionally, and running your needle through the base every half turn or so.

After several turns, you'll have a rose in full bloom.  I like to use a pretty long thread to stitch my flowers, because I use the tail end to attach it to whatever project it's going on.

It really is that easy.  For a more tailored look you can fold the strip of fabric, and use the cut edge side as the base of the flower and the folded side as the top of the petals.  Rose buds are made simply with fewer turns.  I made a bunch of tighter more formal roses out of ribbon to embellish the bride and groom champagne flutes, the cake knife and server, and the guest book for my wedding years ago.  I haven't made a fabric rose since and making the one for the apron brought back all those memories.

Thanks for popping in and crafting with me.  I'm linking this up to Little Red House's Mosaic Mondays Sew Woodsy's What's Up Wednesdays, and My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday.
The DIY Show Off

9 comments:

  1. Great tutorial.....I saw your apron...very, very cute! I think the cut edge gives it personality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute...thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ~ thanks for the tutorial ~ I will have to try this..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! You are so talented. The lemon apron is very cool. Makes me want a warm summer day and lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting Crafty Geordi today! I love this rose, I like this better than the other roses I have seen out there, with the glue and felt backs.....I'm gonna have to try this soon. I am following you now, looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so pretty, thank you for teaching us how make them. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your roses are beautiful as is your mosaic. I think I will give then a try. It looks like a fun project. Thanks so much for including the tutorial in your post today. Happy Valentine’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this tutorial. I can't wait to try this idea! My grandmother used to make ribbon rose corsages but they were much smaller.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!