Monday, March 28, 2011

Summer Rolls

We spend so much of our week running around, that it's nice to have a slow interactive meal when we can fit one in.  Summer Rolls fit that bill, and we made time for them the other day.  The kids can make their own right at the table.

First things first - I wash, prep, and cut everything, and place them on the table.  We had leaf lettuce, julienned carrots and cucumbers,  sliced pork loin and shrimp, cilantro, basil, and mint.  I usually also slice up a half an avocado for myself, but the one on the counter wasn't quite ripe enough.

I have a couple of pie plates of warm water at the table, and we wet down our rice paper wraps just before assembling.  Whirling Dervish can do this step on his own, but I dunk the wrap for Snuggle Bunny.  The trick is to spin the rice paper in the water so that each section is only dunked for a couple of seconds.  The water will continue to absorb and soften the paper as it sits on your plate, so you don't want it too wet or it'll end up tearing as you roll it.

Next, you place whatever fillings you want in your summer roll.  SB likes just lettuce, pork, carrots, and cukes - no herbs, and no shrimp.

I like to have everything, except the pork.  The beauty of making these at the table, is that everyone gets to have things their way, or experiment with new flavors.

You begin rolling up the wrap from the bottom, once about a third of the way up, you fold in the sides.

Continue rolling until it's completely wrapped.  SB chooses to eat them plain.  The rest of us dip it in some nuoc mam.  I've always made this sauce like my mom, which is to say with no measuring, but it's about 1/2 cup of fish sauce(also called nuoc mam,) the juice of half a lime, 2-3 tbsps superfine sugar, and 1-2 thai chiles, chopped fine.

WD has had much more practice than SB, and is wrapping his 3rd while SB is enjoying his first of the night.  One note about the nuoc mam dipping sauce - it smells, so I put the one by WD on a plastic Easter placemat just to protect from drips.

Thanks for popping in and dining with me.  I'm joining All The Small Stuff's Tuesdays at the Table, and A Southern Fairytale's Mouthwatering Monday, Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesdays, and Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
Hearth and Soul Hop at the Hearth and Soul Hop HubExtreme Personal Measures

18 comments:

  1. YUMMMM! Those look delcious and fun to make!
    And so nice the whole family got to make their own.....I ♥ it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really fun! I will have to check into rice paper and see how it rates, glycemic index wise.

    I was on my way over here to tell you I'd mentioned your blog (and the closet discussion) on mine today, but then your comment came in, so I know you've seen it already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy and healthy!! I'm definitely going to try these. I've never had nuoc mam, but I think I'll have to try that for sure. Do you dissolve the sugar in the fish sauce over heat, or just mix everything together at room temp? And this is probably dumb (but I'm never afraid to ask the dumb questions) - is superfine sugar different from regular sugar, or is that just a brand name?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- These look so yummy! I love that they are super healthy and fun to make with kids. Great ideas as always!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful, but the best part is your kids like vegetables Yea!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these and had no idea they were so easy to make. I will be making these very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so yummy!!!! Mmmm, I might have to go get Pho and Spring Rolls for dinner now. Thanks for your awesome support over at Crafts by Holly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a healthy and yummy roll! The best part is you can choose your favorite filling....

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh yes you said they loved them and it/s true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH YEAH! Thanks so much, I have been wanting to see this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a good dipping sauce recipe too?? I have made these in the past and am still working on the dipping sauce.

    FYI - I found your link through Not JUST a Housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make this so easy - I have always been a bit scared to try summer rolls - not anymore! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your summer rolls look delicious - such a light and healthy - and FUN option for the kids ;)

    Thanks for sharing at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these and could eat them every day. I made these in a kids' cooking class and the kids just love that magic when that plastic-looking rice paper gets soft and turns into food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks absolutely delicious. I wonder if I could trick my kids into eating this? I will have to try some day.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!