Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Decoupaged Easter Eggs

I love Easter eggs. Decorating them with the kids each year just before Easter is always fun. I also like how they look sprinkled around the house as decor. I decided to decoupage a few for my mantel this year.

I started with your basic plastic Easter eggs. Our house has a million of these, but you can buy them from the dollar store.  You can tape around the center if yours don't fit properly, but the decoupaged paper will hold them, too.

I had some world map tissue paper leftover from some other project.

I tore it into small chunks, and decoupaged it onto the eggs. The gold standard for decoupage mediums is Mod Podge, but if you don't have any watered down white glue will work in a pinch. Don't worry about the ridges and bubbles, smooth them out as best you can with your paint brush, they flatten out a bit as they dry.

I also used some sheet music. I used a page from the back of the intermediate book, that I was fairly certain WD would never play.

Since this was new sheet music vs vintage, it was entirely too bright of a white next to the muddied down colors of the map tissue papered eggs.  I grabbed some acrylic paint in Espresso Bean,

watered it down,

and brushed it onto the sheet music covered eggs,

then blotted at them with a paper towel. You can see the contrast with the bright white.

This entire project cost me nothing, because I had all of the stuff on hand.  These will be going on the mantel with another Pottery Barn inspired moss project.

Thanks for popping in and crafting with me.  I'm linking these up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday, and A Soft Place to Land's Map Party.
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. I love how the eggs turned out! I like the look of them when you used the watered down brown paint...so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nifty and creative way to do Easter eggs. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are DARLING. And I love the price! I need some Easter decor around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I have yet to make/buy any decorations for Easter. I totally think I could tackle this project on my own.

    Take some pictures once they are up on the mantle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun project! Thanks for linking up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute and so fun. I have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious! I love Easter Eggs so, I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just did this last night while I was watching TV! Fun way to use all those plastic eggs we seem to accumulate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really cute....I'm hosting a link party and would love for you to stop by and link something up? If you have time of course www.mysimplehomelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! I love that you did a PB knock off without buying anything!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!