Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Baubles fit for a Princess

Laura at Decor to Adore has been writing a fantastic series on the upcoming Royal wedding.  You may remember the Fit for a Queen High Tea she held a couple of weeks ago.  This week she's asking for submissions for a What to Wear linky party.  There are 3 categories - Pretty Princess or Perfectly Putrid for all those bridesmaids dresses we may have in our closets, Hats Off for the fun hats we may have for Derby Day, and Best British Baubles for the blingy accessories one might wear.

I've worn a few truly awful bridesmaids dresses throughout the years.  Unfortunately they were from back in the days of the film camera, and both the dresses and the pics are long gone.  I love wearing hats, but they tend to be pretty basic without the feathers or blooms that you might find on a truly winsome hat.

So that leaves Baubles.  I can do baubles.  This is what I wore on my wedding day.
I've shared this pic before in sepia tones framed up on my Valentine's mantel.  It's one of my favorite pics for the sheer giddiness in Computer Genius's face as he slips on my ring.  I wore a rhinestone tiara with pearls and austrian crystals strewn through my curled up-do.  I was never a girly girl who dressed up as a princess or dreamed of marrying a prince.  I climbed trees, caught bullfrogs, and played football, but on that day in the big puffy silk chiffon gown as soon as that tiara hit my head, I started shrieking, "I'm a princess, I'm a princess!"

I even had austrian crystals on the tips of my manicured fingers.  "I'm a princess, I'm a princess!"
Our wedding bands are a combination of 18K gold and platinum.  The woman at the jewelry store recommended platinum for the detailed basket weave, because gold would have worn smooth after 50 yrs and we plan on being married at least that long.

And because the blingyness didn't end when I switched gowns part way through the reception -  Here I am in my Asian wedding gown with my little man ring bearer.  The gown is covered in gold threaded embroidery and sequins.  How's that for bling?  You can also see the enormous diamond drop earrings borrowed from my mother's extensive jewelry collection.  I was terrified I'd lose one, and kept checking my ears to make sure they were still there.

Thanks for popping in and taking this trip down memory lane with me.  Run over to Laura's party to see the bridesmaids' dresses that might show up. 


13 comments:

  1. I love your Royal Wedding pic...beautiful! Nice fingernails, how was that done.

    Your boys are adorable. Congrats on your lovely family. God bless you all.

    XO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! Yes! I am placing you in the Hat's Off category for that wonderful tiara, ditto for the Baubles and truly for the Pretty Princess category. Gorgeous!

    From the bottom of my heart thank you for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous my friend, and what purty fingernails you had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is this? I love your dress and tiara. You really were a princess!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You truly were a princess, love the nails!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!!
    Love your jade bracelet!

    NIce to meet you!
    I just became a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fingernails!! On our wedding days it should be a given that we are princesses. Bring out all the fluff and bling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful wedding photos! And that green bracelet is just... perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bride..can I borrow your tiara? It's fun to go back and look at those, isn't it. I need to scan mine and get them into some type of book with comments...sounds like a good summer project????? (I'm at year 41...looking forward to anniversary 42!)

    Thanks for coming over to Dining With Debbie. I hope to see you there often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bride! Thanks for sharing the photos. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were a beautiful bride, and I love that dress you changed into! Your wedding bands are so unique and so pretty. I have a feeling you would look like a princess even if you were climbing trees. laurie

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!