Sunday, March 6, 2011

Frame-Up Job

Remember when I re-covered our new-to-us dining room chairs, here?  I promised that I was hanging on to the needlepoint seats and not just junking them.  While the edges of the seats were all torn up, the flowers in the center were still intact and quite beautiful.

I wanted to frame the 4 remaining needlepoint seat covers(2 had been recovered previously) and display them over the sideboard.  I pictured them in round or oval frames.  Not having the bankroll wanting to spend a lot on custom framing, I spent the next couple months hunting down round frames from thrift stores, antique shops, and craigslist.  I picked up a large oval off Craigslist for $5.  After 3 months, I was still looking for 2 more frames.  I found my final 2 frames for $3 and $9 at the Antique Co-Op that I gave you a tour of here.  One of them was the exact same shape as one I had found at a thrift shop and picked up for $8.  All of the frames were varying colors and finishes.

I wanted the frames to be a "gilver."  A metallic that's not gold, but not silver either.  I primed the frames and sprayed them a metallic gunmetal grey.

I grabbed some Treasure Gold buffing wax in Florentine Gold.  The stuff is like Rub n Buff except in comes in a little pot instead of a tube.  I rubbed an old sock in the wax pot,

and rubbed it into the frame.  It created a layered effect that is really subtle from a step away.

I took each seat cover and wrapped the boards with them, taping the extra fabric to the back with duct tape.  Computer Genius hung them on the wall for me.  Here's the wall before.

And After.  Obviously the sideboard could use a vignette.  I'm working on a new look for it.  I've had some large candlestands on there for just about forever.

The final tally $25 for the frames & $3 for the spray paint.  Not bad for less than $30. 

Thanks for popping in and painting with me.   I'm linking this up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday.  And don't forget to check out Debbiedoos' Newbie Party.
The DIY Show Off Keeping It Simple http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/PhotobucketDomestically SpeakingPhotobucket

20 comments:

  1. Not bad at all! Looks great. Thanks for joining my newbie party. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look great! As one who stitches needlepoint, I'm thrilled to see that you saved these pieces. They represent many hours of work! You are a wise one and clever one! ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great re-purpose, thanks so much for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful needlepoint. They look great framed. Much too pretty to sit upon!
    Thanks for following my blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT idea! Beautiful too! I just looked at a piece of needlepoint that was framed...it was over $60 just for the one and it had damage! I have a chair that is ruined but I can't stand the thought of throwing it out since it has a needlepoint cover....now I know what to do with it!

    thanks for the inspiration!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought to frame those but they look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea!! LOVE it! I have some needle point pieces from old chairs, and I am going to try this!
    I'm here from Debbie's party, andd I'm also your newest follower!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great metamorphosis! Well done.

    I am having a hilarious Linky party with prizes this Wednesday. Details are on my blog today.
    I hope you'll join in on the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with these prints!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo pretty...love what you did here on a dime:) Thanks so much for coming to my NTT party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look great. Thanks for saving them from the trash can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful way to reuse that vintage needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so glad you hung onto those needlepoint pieces! What a treasure and your arrangement looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These really look great. What a nice way to use that needlework. Thanks so much for linking up to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look so good. Great idea. Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almost speechless...What a fabulous idea!!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you were able to save the needlework. They look great framed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The needlework is beautiful and I love how you have them framed. Great job on the paint of the frames also. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I love re-using and re-purposing old stuff ..... Great job.

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!