Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Biscotti

It's been a while since I posted a cookie recipe.  I haven't wanted to tempt Whirling Dervish with full cookie jars during the wrestling season, but it's lacrosse season now so bring on the treats.  I pulled out my Easter Egg Cookie Jar, and couldn't set it out on the counter empty, so I baked up some Chocolate Coconut Biscotti.

I started by whisking together 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 cup arrowroot starch, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp xanthan gum in a medium sized mixing bowl.

In my stand mixer bowl, I creamed together 4 tbsps butter, 2 tbsps coconut oil, and 3/4 cups sugar.  Next time I'll add another tbsp butter, because they didn't spread as much as I wanted in the oven.

To that I added 2 eggs, one at a time, and the dry ingredients.  I also added in some chocolate flakes.  I love these thin little chocolate wafers from Hersheys.  They're the perfect little taste of chocolate to satisfy a late afternoon chocolate craving without compromising your waistline.  I took 4 of them and broke them in pieces to add to the dough.

I shaped the dough into a loaf about 10 inches long on a silpat lined insulated baking sheet.  You can line the sheet with parchment paper if you don't have a silpat.

I baked this loaf at 350 for 25 minutes, let it cool for 10 minutes, then sliced it into 3/4" thick slices.  I set them on a cut side and baked them for another 15 minutes.

I drizzled on 1oz of melted chocolate, and sprinkled on some toasted coconut.  They go perfectly with a dark roasted coffee with a splash of coconut milk in the morning.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to I {heart} Naptime's Sundae Scoop Party, Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free's Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, The King's Court's What's Cooking Wednesdays, and Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.
MyMeatlessMondaysSumo Sweet StuffDining With Debbie

7 comments:

  1. oooooh, looks yummy !

    So glad you stopped by Lavender Hill.... btw - I raised 3 boys here, I'm the only girl ! My house is lavender, inside and out and they don't mind a bit. My oldest is married and his wife is a pink girl - guess what color their bedroom is ? LO> - he says it's romantic !!!!

    Happy Pink Saturday,
    gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried making biscotti before. It looks delicious!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it every time I come to this blog I leave hungry :) I will have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made biscotti either. This is very tempting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yummy.
    Come visit my baking blog at
    www.amandas-events.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!