Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is one of those classic desserts that's great to take to a friend's house for a last minute get-together.  It takes very little time, because you don't have to wait for it to cool and frost it, for it to be pretty.

I start by preheating the oven to 350.  While the oven is preheating I place a 9" cake pan with a half a stick(4tbsp) of butter in it to melt.  Meanwhile I whisk together 1/2 cup white rice flour, 3/4 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup  tapioca flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp xanthan gum in a medium mixing bowl.

By this time, the butter in the cake pan has melted.  Pull out the pan and sprinkle a generous 1/3 cup of brown sugar over the melted butter.

Arrange pineapple rings in the pan with a maraschino cherry in the center of each.

In a large mixing bowl, I whisk together 6 tbsps melted butter, 2/3 cup agave nectar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/3 cup drained pineapple tidbits, 2 eggs, and 1 tbsp vanilla.

When the wet ingredients are thoroughly combined,

I whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.  Pour the batter over the pineapples and smooth it out.  Place it in the oven for about 40 minutes.

Pull the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes.

Loosen the edges with a knife and invert it onto a serving plate.  Enjoy as is or with a scoop of coconut ice cream.  Yum.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to I {heart} naptime's Sundae Scoop Party.
UndertheTableandDreaming

4 comments:

  1. Oh that is wonderful, one of my favorite cakes right there. I have a cake recipe today you may love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake, thanks for sharing. Looks perfect!
    Check me out at
    http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I adore Pineapple Upside Down Cake!!! I'd love a piece for breakfast this morning ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy. Thanks so much for linking up to my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!