Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crockpot Chicken w/ an Island Flair

I don't know if it's the bikini hanging from my bedroom ceiling or that the weather is finally beginning to thaw, but I had a hankering for a taste of vacation flavors.  I also had a lot of driving in circles to do this evening, so out came the crockpot.  Crockpots make life so much easier when you're playing taxi driver for your kids.  I'm calling this dinner Island Chicken.  It doesn't look all that spectacular on the plate, but boy was it tasty.

While I was in the kitchen fixing myself my lunch, I also started fixing dinner by tossing 5 chicken quarters in the crockpot.  Over the top of the chicken I added 1 coarsely chopped onion, 1 - 8oz jar of peanut satay sauce, 1/2 - 20oz can of pineapple tidbits, 1/4 cup coconut milk,  2 tbsps tapioca starch, and some ground black pepper.  Unfortunately, I got some schmutz on my camera lens so the next several pictures I took look like this.  I'll spare you more than just the one blurry pic.

I put the cover on and turned the crockpot on high and left it for 3 hrs.  I then coarsely chopped 3 green bell peppers, and a head of purple cauliflower.  Cauliflower isn't terribly islandy, but I loved the bright purple color.  I tossed these in the crockpot, replaced the cover, and turned it to low.  In another 2 hours the chicken is literally falling off the bone and the veggies are softened.

Towards the end of the cooking time, I toasted some flaked coconut in a 350 oven.  Do not walk away and hit 50 crunches after seeing that bikini hanging from your ceiling, because the coconut will quickly go from toasted to embers, and you'll need to start over with more coconut flakes. 

After serving up the chicken and veggies with some rice, I sprinkled the toasted coconut over the plates.  SB added enough toasted coconut to his plate to completely cover all his food.  He loves toasted coconut. 

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

3 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!!!
    Hmmm.....I've got some chicken in the freezer that could be ready by tomorrow...LOL! Thanks for sharing this!
    ~Terry
    http://www.mossandclover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... You sure now how to make my mouth water. Every time you post a recipe I want to eat it. lol. Have an awesome day.
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tasty! Love the additions of pineapple and peanut sauce! Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!