Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ginger Turkey Purses

Wontons are great in soup, but they also make fantastic fried appetizers.  I like to fry them up ahead of time, then warm them back up in the oven just before my guests arrive.  Here's one way to make a fried wonton appetizer - my Ginger Turkey Purses.

I start by shredding 1 1/2 cups of cabbage, tossing it with 2 tsps of salt in a colander,

and placing a weight on top(in this case a 2 liter bottle of soda.)  This will help to press some of the water out of the cabbage so that the fried wontons won't get soggy.

After 1/2 an hour, I wrap the cabbage in a clean tea towel, and squeeze all the excess water out.  Really squeeze with both hands, you want as much of the water out as possible.

In a medium mixing bowl, I combine the cabbage with 2/3 pound of ground turkey, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 1 1/2 tablespoons gf soy sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons seseme oil, one egg yolk, and a couple turns of the pepper grinder.

I make half of my gf wonton recipe, and roll out half of that as thin as possible, covering the reserved half with plastic wrap.

I cut the wonton dough into 3" squares with my pizza cutter.  Place 1 generous teaspoon of filling on each square.

Brush the edges with some egg wash.

Pull up the corners and press the edges together.  You can set them on some waxed paper while you're finishing making them.  When the first set has been assembled, roll out the reserved dough, and use up the rest of the filling.

In a deep fryer or a large heavy bottomed skillet heat up your oil to 375.  Fry these until Golden Brown Delicious turning as necessary.  Drain on paper towels.  I like to make these ahead of time and reheat them all in the oven, because you can only fit a few in the fryer at a time.

I recommend reheating them at 400 for 15 minutes for a nice crispy treat.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Little Brick Ranch's Foodie Friday.
Hearth and Soul Hop at the Hearth and Soul Hop HubgiveawaysDining With Debbie

6 comments:

  1. What a perfect appetizer or snack! I love the idea of the ginger in them. It's wonderful you have a gluten free wonton wrapper recipe too. Thank you for sharing these delicious treats with The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....I'm going to have to try this with a little tweak to the filling! Looks marvelous!!
    Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'm going to make these for Bunko in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much for linking up to What's On the Menu Wednesday at Dining With Debbie. I hope you will visit often and link up whenever your can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that I have found another gluten free blogger! These look incredible. I love wonton, but have not had it in years. I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for sharing this with The Hearth and Soul Hop.

    BTW, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lovely purses sound very tasty indeed! Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch. The linky is up again for this week, so please do come along and join in.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!