Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunburst Silverware Clock

Hope everyone had a nice Easter/Passover/weekend.  It was a fantastic weekend of both friends and family, and after the last guest left I took a great big nap.  Coffee & chocolate can only take you so far.  I had had big plans to pre-write some posts to launch this weekend while I ran around for the last 3 days, but it just never happened.  I'll be playing catchup with responding to e-mails and comments tomorrow morning.  I had a couple of guests ask how I make duck without it being greasy, so I plan on posting that sometime this week as well as a recipe for a streusel topped lemon berry quickbread that my BIL really enjoyed.  But for now, I'm sharing this Sunburst Silverware Clock that I made last week in between all the baking and prep for Easter.

Remember that big box of silverware my MIL gave me back in February?

I had such a good time going through it.  I picked out a couple of monogrammed spoons to go on my new picture ledges.

Some of the pieces, like cake servers and grapefruit spoons, went into my kitchen drawers.  There were a large number of knives and forks from one pattern, but oddly enough only 3 spoons from that pattern.  I loved the look of them and didn't know what to do with them until I saw this Sunburst Mirror that Flamingo Toes shared at Blue Cricket Designs.  Gorgeous, right?

I didn't need a mirror in my dining room as I had just framed up the needlepoint seat covers for over the sideboard, but I could use a clock in the room.  I had this clock with grape leaves surrounding it that I had bought a decade ago when I was doing a tuscan thing.  It seemed ripe for a redo.

I took it apart, removed the grape vine exterior ring, and painted the remaining rim silver.

I grabbed 10 knives and 10 forks from the box.  They were heavily tarnished.

I gave them a vigorous rubdown with some Rokeach Silver Polish and, not wanting to have to polish the silver while on the wall, several coats of Minwax Spray Lacquer.  I only bothered polishing and spraying the fronts of the silverware.

I arranged the silverware on the back of the clock using a large frame and whatever was handy to keep the silver supported around the clock.

I mixed together small batches of J-B Weld epoxy.  I was afraid to use the hot glue that Flamingo Toes used in her tutorial, because the silver was so heavy.  The epoxy holds really well.

I glued the silverware to the clock, moving, gluing, and placing, each piece before moving onto the next to keep the spacing even.

I love how it turned out and think it's such a fun piece for my dining room wall.

Thanks for popping in and DIYing with me.  I'm linking up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday and Centsational Girl's Paint Party.
Keeping It Simple http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/Boogieboard CottageOut on a Limb Tuesdays with Cat on a Limb

30 comments:

  1. Darling idea!

    Thanks too for dropping by my blog.

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! So creative and fun...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clock is pretty and eye catching. It's a great conversation starter I'm sure. I love it!

    Warmly, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this! Ingenious!What a unique piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful -- thanks for the great tutorial & tips. Now I know what I want to make my sunburst out of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely luv it,don't forget to add it to our linking party this week
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/04/happy-easter-2011-and-linking-party.html
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Love that you were able to re-purpose both your clock and the cutlery :-) Very smart and creative :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You come up with the COOLEST ideas! I ♥ this clock....super cool and oh-so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute clock! What a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow how creative..I cannot count how many times I have thrown out old silverware..Thanks for tip on laquer and glue too..I have to wear a mask(not very helpful) for these mediums..so many months inside during winter.Wonderful post and treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever! Would have never thought of this. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! I loved the mirror ideas I have seen, but the clock is so practical and cute! Great idea! I would love for you to link it up at my blog party~ Inspire-Me Monday at Homemaker in Heels! I am a new follower of your blog, too! Can't wait to catch up on everything I have missed! :) http://www.homemakerinheels.com/2011/04/inspire-me-monday-week-1-is-here-come.html
    Blessings~
    Crysta

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is a total hoot! posting it to twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! We are getting ready to makeover the kitchen/dining room, and I was wanting to accessorize with utensils...this is a GREAT idea.

    I am a new follower from the Creative Bloggers Party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great idea...love the assortment of silverware, too

    Stop over to enter the coffee burlap bag giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool. I need to learn to see things in different ways like this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously how cool is this! I was just thinking that it would be really cool as a mirror also (and I see that was your inspriration - LOL). I love the sunburst look but want something different and this definitely fits the bill! LOVE IT! Would love for you to link this up with Saturday Spotlight - http://www.greendoordesignsblog.com/2011/04/saturday-spotlight-9-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome!!! I’m your newest follower from Creative Bloggers Hop. Please follow http://sweetcalifornialiving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovin' this idea! Gotta do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Girl that was genius! I love how it turned out, so cute. Now you can look at the time and smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found my way here from polka dots on parade. That's awesome! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the clock version!! It looks so pretty!! Thanks so much for linking it up to Think Pink Sundays and thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That clock looks great! Really appreciate you sharing this great post with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so fabulous!! I'm featuring you today so come grab a button!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have seen clocks just like that in various stores & catalogs & though "I should try making that sometime". Well-you beat me to it! Yours looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!