Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pasta w/ Shrimp & Asparagus

Pasta is a go-to dinner option when I want to get dinner on the table quickly.  This whole dinner took about 20 minutes to make from start to finish.

I started by boiling a large stock pot of salted water.  While the water was coming up to a boil, I chopped up a small bunch of asparagus into 3 inch pieces.  When the water was boiling, I blanched the asparagus for 1 minute.

I removed the asparagus to a bowl of ice water, and added 1 pkg of Tinkyada brown rice pasta(I used spaghetti) to the still boiling pot of water.

While the spaghetti was cooking, I made the sauce.  I heated up 3-4 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet.  I know that seems like a lot, but this is a very thin olive oil based sauce, so use the very best oil.  I added 1 small chopped onion, and sauteed that for 1 minute.  I added 1 tbsp of minced garlic, stirred for 30 seconds, then added 8 oz of peeled, deveined shrimp, sliced in half lengthwise like you were butterflying them, but sliced too far.  I stirred those around for 1 minute, sprinkled on 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes, and added the blanched asparagus, a scoop of the pasta water, and 1/4 cup of wine.  Another minute or 2 in the pan, and the sauce was done.

I drained and rinsed the pasta, and served it topped with the sauce plus a sprinkling of grated parmesan.  So quick & easy.  Sometimes simple meals like these are just the ticket.  As an added bonus SB, who normally refuses to eat shrimp, had 2 helpings.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays, A Glimpse Inside's Catch a Glimpse Thursdays, and Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Party.
PhotobucketYummy Mummy

15 comments:

  1. That is quite literally all my favs in one pan. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Carol. Mmmm...Plus the hot weather lately just calls for quick, easy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! Is it too late to come for supper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's a great hot weather meal. I like that you used the water to blanch the asparagus and then cook the pasta. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so stinkin' good! Oh my word! I definitely will be trying this!

    www.iheartmygluegun.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! yum! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What brand of pasta do you use? {I saw you linked up to a GF party...so we are GF and I had to ask}

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Juice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so wonderful. Just my kind of food. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh this looks so good! Thank you for sharing it at Yummy Mummy's first ever linky party! I'm following your cute blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM. That looks like the perfect summer meal! Visiting you from Paisley Passions! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing!! I love me some asparagus!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Asparagus is the first vegetable of Spring season and I love it. This looks very good and simple. With all this heat we're having, it's a perfect stovetop meal.
    My name is Baxter Bunny and I linked up to the Yummy Friday Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah...Shrimp and asparagus are 2 of my very favorite things!! This looks GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very good... and I'm not much of a shrimp eater. lol Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a very similar recipe, except it also has sundried tomatoes -- soo good!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!