Thursday, June 16, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

Summer means fresh berries, and it's almost berry picking season here.  I love baking with berries.  Don't get me wrong, I love baking with chocolate, too, but nothing says summer like berries.  WD has his math final today, and it's important that he start the day off well., so I made some blueberry muffins for breakfast.

I started by washing and picking through my blueberries.  I'm all for a little crunch, but nobody wants to find a stem in their muffin.

I whisked together 2/3 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup sorghum flour, 2/3 cup coconut flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 2 tsps baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.

In my stand mixer, I beat together1/2 cup vegetable shortening, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 2/3 cup turbinado sugar, 1/3 cup agave nectar, 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cup almond milk, 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, and the zest of one lemon.

I added the dry ingredients to the wet, and beat until smooth.  One of the great things about working with gluten-free flours is that you don't have to worry about overworking the batter.  This batter can be beat well, and your muffins will not be tough.

I folded in my washed blueberries.  I used about 1 1/2 cups.  (I packaged up some of the original pint for SB's lunch.)

I lined my muffin tin with paper liners.  Ignore the snowmen, they were all I had in the house.

I like to use an icecream scoop for uniform muffins, but you can use a spoon.

Fill the liners.

I like a streusel topping, so I quickly made some using my mini chopper.  I whirred together 1/3 cup blanched almonds, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 tbsps sweet rice flour, and 1 tbsp vegetable shortening.

I put a heaping teaspoon of the topping on each muffin, and baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick test came out clean.

These are so good still warm out of the oven.  I made these dairy free to share with a friend who has dairy sensitivities, but feel free to substitute butter for the shortening and coconut oil.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm sharing these at Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.  

9 comments:

  1. Yum! Makes me want to go out and get some blueberries right now! I also have a friend who is sensitive to dairy, so I'll definitely have to keep the shortening and coconut oil in mind... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. You are a thoughtful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favorites. These look delish! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The day is always brighter for a blueberry muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fresh berries and blueberry muffins are so yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMMM...these look delicious :)
    Just yesterday I was at CostPlus and I bought a cute, little cookbook all about muffins! I can't wait to try some of them. Your recipe sounds yummy too...thanks for sharing!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to see everyone breaking out the blueberries!! :) Also - I really need to get me a handy dandy scooper...I am always pouring and scooping and messing everything up!

    Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday. I hope to see you again next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These muffins look wonderful, and how lovely they are gluten free as well! Blueberries are one of my favourite fruits. Thank you for sharing this recipe with Let's Do Brunch. Hope to 'see' you there again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrumptous! Love blueberries, thanks for posting, can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!