Friday, June 3, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream Pie

Do you ever bring home new things from the grocery store and wonder what to do with it?  I do.  The Better Baker posted a recipe for Cinnamon Chip Cookies the other day, and I had to run out and buy some Cinnamon Chips.  Cinnamon Chips aren't new, in fact they've been around for years, but I've never used them so they're new to me.  When I think of Cinnamon, I think of autumn and apple pie.  Of course summer has finally rolled around, so ice cream is the current go to dessert.  I wanted to meld the flavors of autumn with the refreshing coolness of summertime ice cream and came up with this Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream Pie.

Instead of a typical pie crust, I wanted a cookie crust.  I thought a more robust crust would hold up to the ice cream better.  I went with an Oatmeal Raisin cookie crust.  I started by creaming together 10 tbsps butter with 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup granulated sugar.

I added 1 egg, 2 tbsps applesauce, and 1 tsp vanilla.  In a separate bowl, I whisked together 1/3 cup sorghum flour, 1/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, and 1 tsp baking soda.


I added the flour mix to the stand mixer bowl, and also added 2 cups gluten-free oats, 1 1/4 cups cinnamon chips, and 1/2 cup raisins.

I pressed the cookie dough mixture into the sides and bottom of a deep pie dish and baked this at 350 for about 45-50 minutes.  Make sure to have a cookie sheet on a rack underneath the pie dish, because this will cook over.  I shielded the edges with aluminum foil so they wouldn't get burned.

The cookie will puff up in the center and it'll look like you won't be able to fill the pie,

but it'll relax after you pull it out of the oven and form a cavity for filling.  It's tough to see in this pic, but it's dropped back into the dish.

While the cookie crust is baking, make your filling.  I like making my own apple pie filling, but you can use canned for a quicker assembly.  Peel and slice up 5 tart apples.

Put them in a medium heavy bottomed sauce pan with 3/4 cups sugar, 2 tbsps cornstarch, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1 tbsp butter, and a splash of sour apple schnapps.

 Combine everything in the saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thick & bubbly - about 15-20 minutes.(I don't know why the color is so off in this  pic.)

Put a cup of the apple pie filling in the frig to cool.

Mix the cup of chilled filling into 2 cups of softened vanilla ice cream.  I'm normally too cheap frugal to buy Friendly's Ice Cream, but it was on sale & I had a coupon, so it was only $1.50 for the 1/2 gallon.

Fill the pie crust, and put it in the freezer for a few hours.  Cutting the pie into slices before you freeze it will save a lot of struggle come serving time. 

Just before serving, warm up the reserved apple pie filling and scoop it on top.  Yum!

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Prarie Story's Recipe Swap Thursdays.
MyMeatlessMondays

18 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Can you come to Texas and make me one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, and it'll be refreshing in the summer heat. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drool! This would have to be my favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative, once again! I'm not an oatmeal cookie fan, but I sure have a bunch around here that are. They'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy! I need a piece of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, and I'm glad you also linked up with Monday, Mmm ... Desserts at Joy of Desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks fabulous! I have never heard of cinnamon chips either? How wonderful that you enjoy baking and know how. I am all into anything with power tools or a sewing machine, but have zero baking skills. I just love reading recipes though and read every word when people show cooking how to's like this, I swear I can smell cookies and apples!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to share with you. Usually, when I start to look at the links from My Meatless Mondays and Let's Do Brunch, a particular photo or title just jumps out at me because it is something, I personally love. This week, it is your pie. It is like, Love at First Sight. Thanks for making my day by linking, this up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that looks good!! I might have to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely amazing! I've never heard of cinnamon chips before, but now I want to go and look for them! Are they just like butterscotch chips but cinnamon flavoured?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must make this! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I featured you!! Here's the link!!

    http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/06/foodie-friday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your blog!! I am your newest follower!! :) If you would like to check out mine also and follow it too!! That would be wonderful!! :) I am excited to share new ideas on food, crafts and about mineral make-up.. I will also be giving away mineral make-up for free. So watch out for it.
    -Brooke
    For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!