Thursday, June 2, 2011

Painted Welcome Mats

I have a bamboo mat at my back door that has seen better days.

I've seen lots of painted mats both stenciled like this one Katie at Making this Home made

 and more freehand like this one made by Jan at My Creative Intuitions.

I love this one that John & Sherry at Young House Love did for Real Simple Magazine with simple frog tape shapes.

I thought I'd give painting a shot.  What was there to lose?  I got this mat 3 yrs ago for $2.50.  If it didn't work out, I could always just toss it and get another one.  First I had to give it a good scrub.

After it dried, I taped some guidelines.  I was freehanding, but I didn't want my words to slope, so taping is an easy way to get a straight line.

Our front door mat says, "Welcome."  This mat is inside the house leading out to the back yard.  "Welcome" wouldn't make sense.  But, "Don't let the cat out" does.  It's what I shout whenever I hear any door open when there are guests in the house.

I painted the silhouette of a cat in one corner,

and painted on some paw prints, too.

Here it is all finished.

Thanks for popping in and painting with me.  I'm linking this up to A Glimpse Inside's Catch a Glimpse Thursday, Just a Girl's Show & Share Day,  Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff Party, and Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday.

Transformation ThursdayDomestically Speaking Keeping It SimpleThe DIY Show Off http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

  1. I have a mat like that and two cats and I am so going to copy you! thanks for the very clever and cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea... and I love what you wrote on it! I think it turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, I have a sign on my door that says "Don't let the cats out no matter what they say"

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Much more interesting than "welcome"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, cute mat. You did a great job! Brilliant idea for the cat mat. I was always worried someone would let our cat outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it great inspiration!!I an going to do something like this !

    Come and enter my amazing $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so adorable! You're a great artist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute. The message about the cat is clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! And I may have to copy that. However, my cat is a Hemingway. I'd have to add a couple of toes to the paw prints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute project, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Love the little paw prints ;).

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!