Monday, June 27, 2011

Mmmmm...Donuts

I haven't made traditional doughnuts since we went gluten-free.  I've made beignets and churros which could be considered doughnuts since they're yummy bits of fried dough, but they aren't the traditional Homer Simpson "mmmm....donuts" Doughnuts.  So it was high time for me to make some.  All I needed was a push.  That push came in the form of a new cookbook.  Gena who writes A Bluebonnet in Beantown hosted a giveaway for Joanne Chang's new cookbook Flour.

You might ask why someone who cooks gluten-free would even want a cookbook named Flour, but I'm one of those people who just loves to read cookbooks.  I like the science and artistry that goes into cooking and baking, and I very rarely use a recipe as written, so making adjustments are a matter of course.  As soon as this cookbook arrived, I read it from front to back.  The 3 pages she devoted to her Vanilla Cream filled doughnuts were just the push I needed.  Here's my version of Joanne Chang's doughnuts.  I started with 2/3 cup of warm milk, 1/3 cup sugar and a packet of yeast in the bowl of my stand mixer.  She uses a dough hook, but I find that a paddle works fine for gf baking.

In a separate bowl I whisked together 1 cup sorghum flour, 1 cup potato starch, 1 sweet rice flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder.  She uses 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour and no baking powder, but I find that baking powder will help to lighten up the gf flours as will the potato starch.

Add the flour to the mixing bowl along with 3 eggs, and beat for 2-3 minutes.

Add 7 tbsps room temp butter, a tablespoon at a time.

Continue to beat for 5 minutes.  The dough should be very light and sticky.

Wrap tightly in plastic,

and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, it will have puffed up.

Roll it out on a floured surface(I use sweet rice flour on my counter) to a 12 inch square.

Using a biscuit cutter, cut as many circles as you can.  She got 9, I cut 12.  I pulled together the scraps and added 1/4 cup cocoa powder for some chocolate doughnut holes.

Let these rise for another 2-3 hours.  They will be puffed up and pillowy.

Drop these in a saucepan of oil at 350.  Let them brown for a couple of minutes on one side before turning and letting them brown on the other side.

Remove to a paper towel lined rack.

After a minute when they're cool enough to handle, roll in a cup of sugar in a bowl or cake pan.

Let them cool completely before filling with pastry cream.  These were really good both filled and unfilled.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  If you love food as much as I do, you should check out Gena's blog.  She has such an incredible appreciation for good food and terrific photography that it's hard not to run out and try her recipes immediately.  I'm linking this up to Home Stories A to Z's Tips and Tutorials Party, Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays, and Lady Behind the Curtain's Cast Party as well as the parties below.

MyMeatlessMondays Keeping It SimpleHearth and Soul Hop at the Alternative Health and NutritionPhotobucket

24 comments:

  1. I would go for the filled donut anytime! These look awesome with great color..
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. Yes. I need one now. Maybe 4... Why must we live so damn far from each other??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an incredibly talented cook! I don't think I can even contemplate making doughnut. These are looking so tempting!Thanks for sharing this recipe... it looks so easy! Loved having you over and thanks for your sweet comment!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying the cookbook. Those look absolutely delicious! You could write a companion cookbook to Flour called (Alternate) Flours. :) Thanks for the nice comments! You're too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that was so great. I don't bake but I love reading posts about baking and donuts!!! Lord I could smell them

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to taste !
    Greetings from France,

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my those look good. Now I need to go eat breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look yummy! Your boys must love having a mom who is such a great cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I want a donut! these look amazingly delicous

    ReplyDelete
  10. These donuts have made me hungry all over again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great recipe! Would you come over to my party "Cast Party Wednesday" and share some of your recipes?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. Goodness. YUM. I just might have to try... Excuse my ignorance about the term 'pastry cream.' Did you already have a recipe for that? Is it a custard like might be used in cream puffs?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum Yum! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! I would probably like homemade filled doughnuts so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh mercy!! YUM!!!! I would love to have that right now with a cold glass of milk! I wish I enjoyed the art of cooking. I get a cookbook and rarely even open it. I would probably open it to make those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. GF donuts! Lord have mercy! You are featured next week my dear!

    :)

    Thanks for linking up...my kids have yet to have donuts and now they will!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gluten Free doughnuts, that are cream filled!! You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These donuts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful that you have developed such delicious looking gluten free doughnuts! They are definitely making me hungry! Thank you so much for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look fabulous! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look fantastic! I would love for you to link these up to my sweet treats part this weekend. It runs through Sunday-- bring dessert! :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking up your recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!