Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fitted Table Cover

The Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays Party is still in full swing.  Click here to go to the party.

We used to hold a monthly poker game at our home for 25-35 guests.  We have multiple poker tables, but it didn't make sense to not use the dinner table, too, so I had made a fitted velour cover for it.  This is the only picture I have with it on.  I was taking a picture of the drapes for someone.

We stopped hosting the monthly games when the kids' sports schedules had us on the road every weekend.  Still it's nice to get together with friends when possible, so we'll be hosting a small game (10-15 guests) this evening.  The problem is that fitted velour cover I made fits our old table.

I told you about the gorgeous new-to-us dining room we inherited last fall here.

What's a girl to do?  Whip out her sewing machine of course.  I laid out the 2 yards of crushed velvet that I had on top of our table.  It was a hair short, so I pulled the leaf out of the table.  Still plenty of room around the table for 6-8 poker players, and it works out better, too, since dealing to the far end of a long dining table is a PITA.  I cut the fabric all the way around the table  about 3 or 4 inches down.  You'll note I did not measure carefully - this is a Poker cover people.

I cut 4 lengths of elastic for the corners of the cover.  I laid the elastic along the edge of the table and placed a pin about an inch beyond the end of the elastic on each end. 

I turned a one inch hem and stitched the end of the elastic at a pin mark, then sewed a pocket for the elastic with a zigzag stitch leaving enough room so the elastic could slide inside of the pocket.  You'll note that I didn't bother to pin any of this because again it's a poker table cover, not fine linens.

I pulled on the elastic and let the fabric gather behind the foot of the machine.  I continued to stitch and pull on the end of the elastic until I reached the second pin. 

I stitched across the end of the elastic, and did the same on all 4 corners of the cover.  After all 4 corners had been elasticized, I stitched the one inch hem all along the unfinished edges.  Here it is on the table.  Super easy, 20 minute project.

Yes, I realize that I could have used felt, but look how gorgeous the crushed velvet is, and with a coupon, it wouldn't have cost any more than felt.  I think I paid about $2.50/yd for the velvet after coupons, so the whole thing cost around $7 for the fabric + elastic, pretty darn thrifty.  Plus I like velvet, that's just how I roll.

Thanks for stopping by and sewing with me.  I'm linking this up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday.
The DIY Show Off Keeping It Simple


  1. Looks great and I think the crushed velvet is much nicer than felt.

  2. What a great idea. I think I'l try this.

  3. What a great idea. I have padded plastic covers on my table that I then cover with the pretty cloths. The plastic is to save the finish in case anything gets spilled. I'm going to elastisize the corners of the plastic like you did to keep it in place. Thanks for sharing.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~


Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!