Sunday, November 28, 2010

Our New(to Us) Dining Room Furniture

Our new furniture is in place and it's perfect!  I told you about selling off our old Dining Room suite and eating Thanksgiving dinner on a poker table and folding chairs here.  Well, Computer Genius's great aunt's furniture arrived and I won't lie - I was squealing with excitement.  CG's great aunt was such a smart, determined, well-researched, opinionated, vocal lady.  I love women who aren't afraid to voice an opinion and I love that we'll have a physical reminder of her in our home.

The table expands to an enormous size with 3 leaves and has those fantastic brass tipped feet.  I'll need to hit the top with a little Restore-a-Finish, but I don't plan on doing a major restoration, because I love the one burn on the top of the table.  CG's great aunt was never without a cigarette in her hand and, well, the burn fits.
All of the chairs have different colored needlepointed seats.  The needlepoint is soooo pretty, but in bad shape so I'll need to recover them.
I ran over to Joann's to grab some fabric and though I had a geometric in mind, I fell in love with this gorgeous toile while browsing the Home Dec fabrics.  And as luck would have it, it was in the wrong area and had been red-tagged for only $4/yd.  Woohoo!

The Dining Room suite also included a gorgeous curvy, bow fronted buffet with custom cut glass top
and china cabinet with more curves and enough drawer space to hold all of my extra china which had previously been divided up between a few pieces of furniture.
The most fun was going through the drawers.  While all of CG's great aunt's china and silver had gone to auction, the lawyers' people had left the miscellanea in the drawers.  CG's great aunt loved to set a proper table and it was neat to find her vintage placemats and napkins.
We also found about a million decks of cards.  She was a sharp bridge player.  In fact she was good at everything that she did whether it was bowling, golf, or cards.  My MIL said that she would have been happy that we got all the stuff, because I love to entertain with real cloth napkins and CG and I are the only family members who play cards.

Thanks for popping in and letting me show off our new(to us) furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!