Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Showing off my Drawers

Remember last year when I put out my Favorite Things wish list?  Number 4 on my list was a Sharp Microwave Drawer.  I really wanted to replace my OTR Microhood that didn't vent well with a real hood and I didn't have a good countertop spot for a microwave.  After many months of Ebay stalking, I purchased one last month and I'm happy to report that it works like a dream.

This is what my peninsula looked like when we first installed the cabinets.  This pic was actually showing off the soapstone, but I don't have a pic focused on the cabs.  It was just  2 regular 30" base cabinets with drawers on top and doors on bottom.

A 30" base cabinet is pretty much a perfect square of an opening when you figure in the 4" toekick.  I bought a 24" MW drawer.  They come in a 30" size, too, but I had plans for that extra 6".  Since the cab was a square, I knew that we could turn the drawers on their sides for some pullout storage.  These are perfect for plastic wrap and wax paper.  The pullouts are waiting on their internal fittings.  Ignore the dungeon walls.  Halloween still needs to be put away.

CG built a drawer for underneath, and frankensteined a new drawer front from the cabinet doors.  The length of the drawer front was the same dimension as the height of the doors, but the height was slightly less than the width of the doors.  Right now my cookie cutters are here, but I plan on switching them with my tupperware containers.

How clever is CG?  Like most major carpentry projects around here this was designed by me and executed by my awesome hubs.  The microwave drawer itself was a very easy installation, needing just a tip block installed and power run to the cabinet.

Thanks for popping in and checking out my new drawers.  I'm linking this up to Sew Woodsy's What's up Wednesdays.

http://www.thethriftyhome.comPhotobucketshabby creek cottageCatch a Glimpse ButtonPhotobucketChic on a Shoestring Decorating

12 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! I have no organization whatsoeva! That looks awesome!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you guys did is awesome! PS--I love to have everything organized...isn't it nice?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plan...and the sideway drawer is genius!!! Have a beautiful day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is some pure awesomeness!! I heart being organized! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! Terrific! Lots of cleverness all around! Functional, economical, and it looks fantastic, too.

    I hope CG is all better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place for a microwave! You're a genius for thinking to put the drawers sideways. Looks great and is so functional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see this more and more in kitchens. Is it tougher to get down to that level to clean it?

    Love the cabinets!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this! I would love if you would share this at the Crazy Cute link party happening at Between U & Me right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway this week, too!
    OOH! AND, I'm your newest follower! ;)
    www.betweenuandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a microwave drawer before, but I like it! I can't even tell the cabinet was frankensteined! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the microwave drawer. I am not a big fan of the look of any other microwave placement in a kitchen but that looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting from Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday.... I am right next to you on that post! Anyhoo, I am glad you like the microwave drawer. I am a kitchen designer and I recommend these to everyone. I wish they would make regular ovens like this, too, because I hate bending over to lift hot things out of the oven and I know when I hate something, I am rarely the only one. Maybe someday. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!