Sunday, November 6, 2011

Mullet Style Wingback Chair

You may be scratching your head over my post title, but you all have to remember the horror of the business up front, party in the back hairstyle epitomized by Billy Ray Cyrus.

The mullet isn't just for men stuck in a time warp anymore.  Look how fun this dining chair is with the whimsical fabric on the back.  The pretty fabric is a nice surprise from the backside and it stays clean while the utilitarian fabric is the workhorse.
via 12 devonshire
This project started with a $15 craigslisted wingback chair.

It sat like this for close to 2 years.  I'd bring home swatches, but nothing felt quite right.  Actually I did love one fabric, but it was $$$, so the search continued.  Last month, I was helping a friend clear out her attic, and ended up coming home with a boat load of random fabric.  One of which was this.

It was love at first sight.  Unfortunately there wasn't enough yardage to cover the chair.  Enter the mullet.  I could have used the fabric for the seat of the chair, but I'd rather have it be a fun surprise.  Plus I have the chair away from the wall in the middle of the room by a walkway and it's nice to see it from the other side.  I needed a complementary fabric and this heavy upholstery velvet in a business grey was perfect.  I snagged it off the red tag flat fold section at JoAnn's for less than $4.

I started to deconstruct the chair, but then thought I'd just make a slipcover instead of reupholstering.  I do have 2 boys, and being able to toss it in the wash will help it's longevity.

If this was a real professional tutorial, there'd be lots of measuring, pattern making, and muslins.  I'm more of a jump in, fly by the seat of my pants type.  I lay my fabric out on the chair, pinning directly to the chair, cut my pieces, and basted them together, before taking them to my sewing machine.

For a slipcover to fit properly on a piece of furniture with curves, it's usually necessary to create a zipper or some other type of closure.  The party girl in back let loose with a corset.  Additionally there are some ribbon ties underneath.

Here she is all dressed up mullet style.  Business up front, party in the back.  I still might paint her legs or stain them darker.  With the brass buttons, I'm toying with the idea of a shiny metallic gold paint on her legs.  What do you think?  A little too much party?

I love her new look, and for less than $25 I have a whole new chair and matching pillow.
Thanks for popping in and sewing with me.
PhotobucketThe DIY Show OffBoogieboard Cottage Keeping It SimpleHOG

*Edited to add* I took Cassie's suggestion to paint the bottom few inches of the legs.  You can see them here.

24 comments:

  1. I think your chair looks great. But what a funny title you thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A phenomenal update! LOVE the corset detail that you added, wow!

    Thank you for stopping by and for joining in on the party! I'm so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job and the bling on the legs sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this case, gimme a mullet! I love the new look for your chair! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the result! The floral fabric on the back is unexpected and fun! You did a wonderful job! I like your idea about painting the legs, too!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to tackle the same project

    anyway you got it completed. I always like the 2 different material on a chair slipcover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious and gorgeous! Who knew a mullet and a wingback would be a beautiful thing? You did an amazing job! Love the fabric, love the corset closure! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applaud your work because that's no easy job. I think it's a lively look and if it works for your family that's what's important. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I laughed when I saw Billy and that mullet!!! Your chair is beautiful and I love the fabric!! You have brought back the mullet in a beautiful way. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable and so fun, especially the back. Come on over to my anniversary giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! I just found a chair at a garage sale and hope to redo it too.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job with the make over! The back of the chair is my favorite part..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome difference you made...much cuter than Billy Ray, BTW,!
    Paint the legs...the chairs...not Billy's! Thank you for dropping by my place. New follower.
    Audrey at eleganteconomies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're SO industrious, and that corset is genius. I'm just beginning to think about tackling my dining room seat cushions. They'll be more like 'party at the butt.'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha ha haaaaaaaa! Love the analogy of Billy Ray Cyrus! SO FUNNY...and nice work on the chair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Billy back in the day!...JK! Great job on the chair! The corset part is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stumbled onto your blog and I'm hooked - loving the chair redo!

    http://www.etsystalkers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the mullet and a slip cover was a great choice with the kids! I have slip covers on all my chairs and it is perfect! The corset back is great!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. The title of this post really got me...just too funny!!! Thanks so much for coming to my party...great job on the chair!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! I'm a big fan of chairs with a different "surprise" fabric on the back :-) You did an amazing job on the slipcover - the corset with the brass buttons really kicks up the party factor a notch or two! I'd paint the bottom inch or two of each leg gold for a touch more glam without going to over the top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great slipcover! You did a fabulous job and saved a lot of money to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, now that's a surprise, and one sure to make anyone smile once they're in on it!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is really a great surprise! Lovely fabric and well done for finding it. Great job on the slip cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on being one of the top three in my linky party. I feature your project in tomorrows blog post! www.thetshirtdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!