Thursday, January 26, 2012

Love is in the Air


I've been slow to decorate for Valentine's Day this year.  I think it took me so long to take down Christmas, that I wanted to revel in just winter for a while.  You can see my winter mantel here.  I left up the ornaments in my front window, because they looked good with my winter decor.

But after seeing the pink explosion across blogland, I'm ready for Valentine's Day.  Pam at diy Design Fanatic shared her wax paper heart ornaments the other day, and I remembered how fun these were to make.  Do you remember making stained glass sun catchers with wax paper as a kid?  I do.  So I set about replacing my winter window with a Valentine's one.  First I needed crayons and a crayon sharpener.

I made crayon shavings,

and after shaving a good amount(the wax paper doesn't have to be completely covered,)

I folded the wax paper over, sandwiched it between some newspaper, and ironed it.  The iron should be on your hot setting without steam. 

A quick pass will melt everything together.

I cut out hearts from my sheets of melted wax, and punched holes in the tops of the hearts.

I actually have a heart punch, but I'd have needed to punch it upside down to use it, so I just used a rectangle punch.

I strung them up on some yarn and hung them in the window.  I love how they look with the light streaming through.

I also made a Valentine's placemat pillow.  For a tutorial, click here.

Thanks for popping in and crafting with me.
Catch a Glimpse ButtonPhotobucketfridays

5 comments:

  1. That is so cute. I remember doing that kind of project with crayon shavings when I was a kid. The pillow is super adorable. Thanks so much for joining in the party and for stopping by today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hearts are so cute! I just hang the Valentines wreath on the door and consider it done!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an AWESOME idea!! The hearts look so cute in the window! And that pillow is so cute--I absolutely love it! Very clever to make from a placemat! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I use to do that with my class in pre-k... brings back fond memories!

    thanks for linking up to catch as catch can
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!