Monday, July 25, 2011

I Scream, You Scream...

We all scream for Ice Cream...especially when it's been blazing hot out.  Most of the nation has been under a blanket of heat, and I'm sure we're not the only ones breaking out the ice cream 2 and 3 times a day.  July is National Ice Cream Month after all.  We like to keep things fun around here, so that means pulling out the toppings carousel for sundaes.

As well as making ice cream sandwiches.

All you gluten eaters can run out and buy a box of these on sale for 99 cents, but when you keep a gluten-free kitchen, you don't have the luxury of just buying treats.  So I make them.  I started by mixing up the same batter that I used to make my Whoopie Pies.

I lined my large jelly roll pan with parchment paper, buttered the paper, and spread out the batter.

I baked this in a 325 oven for 25 minutes.  I then cut the sheet into sandwich sized bars with my pizza cutter, and cleaned up the edges with a knife.

I pricked holes in the rectangles with a fork.  Keep a dish of hot water to dip your utensils in, so that the partially cooked batter won't stick to them.

Put the tray back into the oven for 10-15 minutes.  When you remove the tray, let them cool completely before making the sandwiches.  I cut a few mini sized bars for those of us watching our calorie intake.

Set your ice cream on the counter to soften for 10 minutes, before making your sandwiches. 

Put them in the freezer to harden up before serving.  The cake parts will still be soft, but the ice cream will be just right.  Here's one of the mini-sandwiches.

I don't even bother wrapping these up, because they don't last for more than 24 hours in the freezer before being gobbled up.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking up to Home Stories of A to Z's Tips and Tutorials Tuesdays.

10 comments:

  1. Oh these look awesome! And gluten-free too! Gonna pass this on to my gluten-free buddies who love some ice cream =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I am giving in to my ice cream cravings lately with this heat!! Love your home made recipe!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Exciting New Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Come and Enter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The toppings carousel is so cute! I love ice cream, too much, haha. We've been on a Dove Bar binge lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Your sandwiches look so yummy!! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the ice cream goodies server....LOVE. I can't get enough Ice Cream in my Summer diet. I just made PB and J Ice cream sandwiches. This is a perfect Summer post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound and look scrumptious ... I have a couple friends who are gluten free .. this would be a great treat to surprise them with!! xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wish I was in your family, you make the best treats. I want you to tell your kids how lucky they are to have such a great Mom, they probably think every Mommy makes these kind of treats....Not if they were my kids LOL!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandwiches look so yummy! I bet if I make this my son will eat all of them:) Same here, very hot and no chance of raining anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you from Little Brick Ranch's Foodie Friday link--the corn drew me in. What a perfect summer recipe. If you get a moment, I'd love for you to link up over at Momtrends. This week we're featuring sorbet cocktails for our recipe linky:

    http://www.momtrends.com/2011/07/friday-food-ciao-bella/

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! What a great treat for your family!
    Thanks for sharing these, I may try them very soon!
    xoxo, cami

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!