Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Apple Cranberry Turnovers

Turnovers?  What?!  I realize that it's January and absolutely everyone in the universe is on a diet, but if you don't give yourself a treat once in a while you'll go nuts and eat an entire package of milano cookies in one quick 30 second inhale.  Just saying, not that I could ever be found surrounded by the wrappings of what used to be a package of cookies. :)

Plus you can call one of these babies a serving of fruit.

I started out by peeling, coring, and slicing 2 apples.

This recipe makes 4 large turnovers, if you'll be making more, you might want to put the apple slices in some acidulated water to keep them from browning while you finish slicing up the apples. I added the apples to 1 tbsp of melted butter in a saucepan on medium.

I added 1 1/2 tbsps cinnamon sugar and 1 tbsp agave nectar and stirred for 2 minutes.  I added 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, 2 tbsps Grand Marnier, and 1 tbsp cornstarch.  I stirred and cooked this for another couple of minutes.  I turned off the heat and let this mixture cool for a bit.

I cut off 1/4 of my puff pastry recipe for this recipe and rolled it out on my counters with a liberal dusting of sweet rice flour.

I rolled the dough into a 12" square and cut the square into 4 smaller squares.

I placed 1/4 of the apple mixture on each square and folded it up into a triangle.

You can use some eggwash to seal the edge and a fork to crimp the edge.  I placed the turnovers on a parchment lined baking sheet and chilled them in the frig for 1/2 an hour.  I placed the turnovers in a preheated 400 degree oven for 1/2 an hour.  After they came out of the oven and cooled for 20 minutes I drizzled a confectioners glaze of 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp vanilla and enough milk to make it an icing consistency.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking this up to Midnight Maniac's Meatless Mondays, Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesday, Permanent Posies'Recipe Share, Designs by Gollum's Foodie Friday, Remodelaholic's Recipe Swap Party, and Sweet and Savory's Let's Do Brunch.


13 comments:

  1. Apple Cranberry Turnovers look so good. I've been wondering how to use up a few fresh cranberries and granny smith apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea welp forget my diet, these look and sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these look so good! I am looking forward to making these maybe like today!I an new to your blog. Really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! These sound so good - the combination of apples and cranberries is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. I was thinking about apple turnovers the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH these looks so good! I'm going to have to whip up a batch! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look wonderful; I like the apple cranberry combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ain't that the truth. Those sure look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turnovers are always a delicious dessert and those apples and cranberries sound like a great filling for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So classic and yummy!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diet? What diet? I'd eat these even if I was on a diet. I mean apples and cranberries are healthy, right? YUM.

    Thanks for sharing this with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came over from Finding Joy in My Kitchen's Friday Favorite list....I actually have a bag of fresh cranberries & a few granny smith apples that I need to use asap...perfect! Could I use OJ as a sub for Grand Marnier? I don't have that in my kitchen and don't think I'd want to buy it for such a small amount in just one recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!