Sorry for the radio silence, everyone. I was stuck in the weeds last week and had to step away from the computer. But I'm back, and energized and ready to do some sharing. I think I might actually finally be able to put a done stamp on our kitchen. For those of you who don't know, CG and I took sledgehammers to our kitchen nearly 4 yrs ago. We completely DIYed the reno, and it took a few years to get to almost done. We finally finished the last item on our list and call it honest to goodness done. I'll share the whole 4yr long before and after with you later this week, but for now I'll show you that last project - replacing the microwave hood that sucked(or didn't suck as the case was) with 900CFMs of superior sucking. This is where we started.
Remember how we installed a microwave drawer here last year? That cleared the way for us to get rid of the non-sucking microwave. The microwave venthood had to come down, and CG installed a plywood shelf to attach the hood to. It plugged into the same outlet as the microwave vent, but we ran new ducting because of the different size needed(that rectangular hole was for the microhood.) Each elbow in ducting will reduce air flow, but we have such a short run that it was fine to use them.
It's important to note here that the duct elbows are connected with silver foil tape, not what we all know as duct tape. Silver foil tape is the correct material to use for ducting. The other duct tape is great for making prom dresses and wallets.
Since no one wants to look at ducting, we attached blocking into the hole using a spare piece of a cherry veneer cover panel as a spacer.
And slid a piece of cherry veneer into the hole in front of the blocking.
Blue tape was used as handles to slide it into place.
I placed some of my salt and pepper shakers up on the resulting ledge. The hamburger splits into 2 shakers, and I painted the dog and cat at one of those paint your own pottery stores.
A reminder of the before.
And the after.
I fried up some potatoes, and it really did a fantastic job with capturing the grease. The baffles and grease catcher cups can go right in the dishwasher. I'm so excited to be sharing the entire kitchen reno later this week now that I can finally call it done.
Thanks for popping in and checking out our new vent.