Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Knitted Doll Poncho

I haven't posted a knitting project since this baby gift way back in 2010.  It's not because I haven't picked up my knitting needles.  I have.  There have been scarves, vests, tunics, mittens, and fingerless gloves.  But knitting is something I do when I'm waiting to do something else.  My knitting comes with me to doctors' and dentists' offices.  I take it to sports practices, and the long wait for Black Friday deals(incidentally nobody will think of jumping the line in front of someone openly toting sharp metal skewers.)  Plus, there's the whole readership thing.  The only people who will read a knitting post tend to be the few out there who can read the gobbledygook that is a knitting pattern.  Still I bothered to write the pattern down so without further ado - here's the Knitted Doll Poncho.
Photobucket

This poncho will fit an American Girl Doll or Journey Doll or other similarly sized doll.  Remember when the Princess broke her arm back in March?  I kept up a steady stream of conversation to help keep her mind off the pain, and one of the things I said was that I loved her poncho and her Journey doll should have a matching one.
And here's how I made it:

cast on 24 stitches of a basic craft yarn on size 7 needles.
Row 1:  K
Row 2:  P
Row 3:  K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3
Row 4:  P
Rows 5-8:  Repeat Rows 1-4
Row 9:  K8, yo, K2tog, K5, yo, K2tog, K7
Row 10:  P
Row 11:  K3, cable4, K1, yo, K2tog, cable4, K1, yo, K2tog, cable4, K3
Row 12:  P
Rows 13-24:  Repeat Rows 1-12
Row 25:  K8, yo, K2tog, K5, yo, K2tog, K7
Row 26:  P
Row 27:  K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3
Row 28:  P
Rows 29-32:  Repeat Rows 1-4
Row 33:  K
Row 34:  P
Row 35:  K3, cable4, K1, yo, K2tog, cable4, K1, yo, K2tog, cable4, K3
Row 36:  P
Row 37:  K8, yo, K2tog, K5, yo, K2tog, K7
Row 38:  P
Row 39:  K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3, cable4, K3
Row 40:  P
Rows 41-44:  Repeat Rows 1-4
Row 45:  K
Bind off

Make 2 of these rectangles and make up the poncho by stitching together the rectangles as below.  Stitching the blue parts together, then the red ones.
Photobucket
Add on some fringe.
Photobucket

And your doll is ready for cooler spring or fall temps.
Photobucket
Thanks for popping in and knitting with me.


Sew Woodsyhttp://sewwoodsy.com/2012/05/weekly-link-party-5.html






Somewhat SimplePhotobucket

1 comment:

  1. You are so talented in so many ways Marcia! The little poncho is the cutest thing EVER! I ♥ it! What a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!