Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Felt Flower Wreath

Sorry about the spotty posting lately.  Flood cleanup is still going on here, but my schedule has finally started to normalize.  To learn more about the historic Susquehanna flooding click here.  Autumn is my favorite season of the year and one of the reasons why I choose to live in NY.  I love the changing leaves, apple picking, fresh apple cider, and the crackle of a fire.  I usually start my autumn decorating as soon as school starts, but the flood pushed back my schedule a bit.  One of the first things I do, is put out an autumn wreath.  Last year I made both a rag wreath and a grapevine wreath in this post.  This year I attacked my overflowing fabric stash and made a felt flower wreath.

This is a completely no sew project.  I showed you how to make fabric roses with a needle and thread for this rose pillow, but this is a project for the non-sewers.  I started with a basic wreath form.  This is one of those dollar store willow forms.

I covered it with some yellow polyester double knit.  I like using both felt and double knit fabric in crafting, because the edges don't fray when you cut them.

To make the felt mums, I cut a 3" x 12" strip of fabric, folded it in half lengthwise and snipped along the folded edge every 1/4" or so.

I rolled up the strip(sorry about the color change, I forgot to continue to take pics with the first strip,)

keeping the base tight,

and put a dab of hot glue on the base to glue it to the wreath form.

For the larger open flowers, I cut scalloped circles of felt, layered them, pinched the bottoms and glued them in place.

The colorful flowers were 2" x 10" strips of polyester double knit glued to a felt disc.

I put a dab of glue on the felt,

and scrunched up the double knit,

continuing to glue and scrunch the fabric into a circular bloom.

I filled in any empty spaces with tight felt buds.  These were made by rolling up 1/2" x10" strips of felt, and placing a dab of glue on the bottom.

Voila!  Easy no-sew autumn wreath.  This entire project was made with random fabric on hand, and only 2 sticks of hot glue.

Thanks for popping in and crafting with me.  Don't forget to leave a wish here for the chance at an Amazon giftcard.  I'm linking this up to A Glimpse Inside's Catch a Glimpse Party, Home Stories of A to Z's Tips and Tutorials Tuesday, Southern Hospitality's Fall Door Decor party, and the parties below.

http://www.thethriftyhome.comPhotobucketPhotobucketThe DIY Show Off

6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your wreath! It's so super cute and very creative :)

    PS--thanks again for all of the help you gave my friend...you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I've been at a loss for a fall wreath and this looks very doable. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wreath! Thanks for sharing how to make all the different flowers. Glad to hear things are finally improving after the flood. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute wreath! I adore the first felt flower that you showed. I will definitely be keeping this project in my idea file. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great fall wreath. I love the colours you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the fall colors. What a way to welcome in the season! I am a new follower from the Creative Juice Thursday Hop. Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!