Saturday, December 11, 2010

Peppermint Meltaways

It wouldn't be Christmas without a few peppermint treats.  The red and white candies beg to be incorporated into your holiday baking.  So today, I bring you Peppermint Meltaways.

These cookies really do melt in your mouth.  They're so light in your mouth from using powdered sugar vs granulated.  I started by creaming together 2 cups vegetable shortening with 1 cup confectioners' sugar.  Normally I'd add 1 tsp peppermint extract, but I was all out.  Good thing we drink in this house.  I instead added 2 tbsps creme de menthe.  (if substituting liquor for extract, you always need more since the extract flavor is more concentrated.)  The creme de menthe gave the mixture a nice green tint perfect for the season.

To the wet ingredients, I added 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, and 1 cup cornstarch.  That's it - no baking powder, soda, or salt.  I formed the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and baked them on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 for 15 minutes.  My cookie sheets are air insulated.  If yours aren't you'll only need 12 minutes. 

While the cookies cooled, I made the frosting.  Mix together 3 tbsps of vegetable shortening with 2 cups of confectioners' sugar.  You can add a smidge of mint extract in the frosting, too, if you like.  I didn't have any, so didn't.  Add 1-2 tbsps water, just enough so that the frosting is a spreading consistency.

Crush peppermint candies with a hammer or meat tenderizer.  Don't worry all you soapstone lovers, you don't have to report me for countertop abuse - I did this step over on the butcherblock.

When the cookies have completely cooled, frost the cookies and sprinkle on some crushed candy.  These cookies just say Christmas to me.

Thanks for popping in and joining me for another round of cookie baking.  I'm linking this up to the Sensitive Pantry's Calling All Cookies party and Remodelaholic's Recipe Link Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!