Wednesday, December 8, 2010

If you like Pina Coladas...

...then you'll love these cookies.  I wanted to make a Pina Colada cookie and realized the best way to get both the pineapple and coconut flavors would be to make a thumbprint cookie using pineapple preserves on a coconut cookie base.  While I was at it, I made some Marmalade Thumbprints too.

These 2 thumbprint cookies are starting with the same base.  This is a double batch, feel free to halve this recipe.  In my mixer I beat 1 cup coconut oil into 2 cups sugar until completely incorporated.  The mixture will look like fine crumbs.

I then beat in 8 eggs, one at a time, and 1 tsp vanilla.

In a separate bowl I whisked together 1 1/2 cups coconut flour, 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 3/4 cup tapioca flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 3 cups shredded coconut, 1/4 tsp xantham gum, 2 tbsps cream of tartar, 1 tsp baking powder, and a dash of salt.

I like using Let's Do...Organic's shredded coconut.  It's shredded superfine which is great in your baked goods and it's a reduced fat product which is great for my waistline.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.  For the Pina Colada thumbprints.  I rolled a 1 inch ball of dough in some more shredded coconut for a nice toasted coconut crust to the cookie.

I flattened the dough ball slightly and created a well with the back end of a wooden spoon.  Wood can harbor gluten particles, because of it's porosity so it's really important to have a gluten-free set of wooden tools if your whole house isn't gluten-free.  I dipped the end of the spoon in tapioca flour to keep the dough from sticking.

I filled each well with pineapple preserves and baked the cookies at 350 for 15-18 minutes.  Just until the edges of the cookies started to brown. 
You can see how nicely the coconut flake bottoms toasted up on these cookies.

For the Lady Marmalade cookies, I mixed in the zest of one valencia orange and rolled them into balls, without the extra step of rolling in the shredded coconut, slightly flattened, and filled them with orange marmalade.  These also bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.
I know I did 2 cookies from 1 dough last week, but here it is again - 2 cookies from one main dough.  What can I say, I'm efficient.

Thanks for popping in and check out all the other great recipes at The Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesday, All the Small Stuff's Tuesday at the Table, Remodelaholic's Recipe Link Party, and Joyful Housewife's Mouthwatering Monday.

3 comments:

  1. I just had my first pina colada last night, it was sooo good! These cookies must be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sound delicious my mom would love them I am going to share recipe with her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great cookie recipe! I love the pina colada idea. I made thumbprints this week, but now you have me wanting to try this version. Good idea to make a double batch and two varieties.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!