Monday, September 10, 2012

Autumn For Real

Technically speaking, it's still summer for another week and a half, but around here autumn starts when the kids are back in school and opening weekend arrives for the football season.  This was SB on Thursday for the first day of school.

And yesterday we trekked to the new Meadowlands stadium to catch the season opening game between the Jets and the Bills.  My longtime readers know that we're diehard Bills fans, and WD is a lunatic Jets fan.  It killed me to create his Jets themed bedroom, but he is my baby, no matter how big.

One of WD's gifts for his 16th birthday was a couple of tickets to the season opener.  He elected to bring a friend that he's known since kindergarten and the 2 of them had a blast on the long road trip, playing games in the car, tossing the ball around in the parking lot, and of course enjoying the game.

We met up with some friends who only had to drive across from Manhattan to tailgate before the game.  The  Jets green clad boys were the minority in our group, but there was very little blue in a sea of green once we got into the stadium.

While some people tailgate with an rv and pro style smoker, all you really need is a couple of coolers, a propane campstove, a table to put your food on, and good friends.
Speaking of autumn, nothing says autumn like fresh pressed Cider Mill cider.

Speaking of food, my theme for this weekend's tailgate was bacon.  I've shared my recipe for Drunken Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Brats before, but I also made Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins, and Sausage & Bacon stuffed mushrooms.

For dessert, I brought along some of the Chocolate Dipped Bacon that I shared last week, as well as football shaped brownies(recipe post coming soon.)

It was a beautiful day for a game, I only wish my team had played better.  There was far too much of this for my taste.
QB swallowed up by unblocked defenders, ball thrown nowhere near receivers, RB on the ground.

But as far as birthday gifts go, WD's team trouncing mine on a gorgeous end of summer day, couldn't have been planned better.  And after the game was over we were treated to a flyover.

It's time to clear away the summer decor(spring, really, we were gone so much this summer that I never got a chance to decorate,) and pull out the Autumn decor I created last year as well as craft some new items.


Thanks for popping in and welcoming autumn with me.

5 comments:

  1. So school has begun there too? I hope it's going good.

    Looks like you all had a very fun filled weekend. That's great! The food looked DELCIOUS! Now I'm hungry!

    Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun! And with the great food. I can't believe I missed chocolate covered bacon... I'm going to that post next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like a good tailgate party! Cardinals stadium is a mere stones throw from our backyard but the Fashionista is a die hard Bronco fan now that her former classmate and friend Brock Osweiler was signed to the team as 3rd string quarterback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait...chocolate covered bacon??? How decadent. I'd like to try it. Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. SB is darling in his new clothes and running shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!