Thursday, March 29, 2012

Java Junction Cookies

I love coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I love tea, too.  I drink tea throughout the day, but there's nothing better than sitting with a cup of coffee by myself for the first half hour of the day.  I actually like the taste of a good coffee, and drink it black most of the time to get the full on flavor.  I often joke that CG takes a little bit of coffee in his cream & sugar, because he likes it so super sweet.  In the spirit of coffee love, I created these Java Junction Cookies.

I started by whisking together 1 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup millet flour, 2/3 cup white rice flour, 1 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup arrowroot starch, 1 1/2 tsps baking powder, 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp salt.

In my stand mixer, I creamed 1 cup softened butter with 2 cups brown sugar.

I used instant espresso crystals for the coffee flavor.  I keep these in my pantry specifically to use in baking.

Heat 3 tbsps milk for 40 seconds in the microwave, and stir in 1 1/2 tbsps instant espresso.

Mix the coffee mixture, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp spiced rum, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract into the creamed butter and sugar.

Add the dry ingredients slowly with your mixer on low.  Beat until well combined.

I rolled half of the dough into a log, and rolled the log in some chocolate sprinkles.  Refrigerate for a couple hours or toss the log in the freezer for 30 minutes.  

Slice the log into 1/4 inch slices and bake for 11 minutes at 350.

And because CG likes his coffee sweeter, I took the other half of the dough and mixed in some butterscotch chips.  I dropped spoonfuls of these onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and baked for 10 minutes at 350.

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.  I'm linking up to Debbiedoos' Newbie Graduate Party.  Oh, how I miss being able to participate in her always fun Newbie parties.


4 comments:

  1. Inventive! Aren't those espresso crystals handy for coffee-flavored baking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcia, so glad you found me. the move was not an easy one and I am still adding my blog roll back as I go. So now you are added back, yay. Today is the newbie reunion party too, so go on and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I love coffee too, and those look so good. Thanks Marcia for sharing with the reunion party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I always come here to put on weight! I'm with the mister, I have a little coffee with my cream!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!