Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Olive Pesto Chicken

Around this time of year, my gardens are bursting forth with herbs, and I'm busy either drying herbs or making pesto.  This year I have a ton of Albahaca basil.  It has a smaller leaf than the typical basil.

I like to use Pesto in a variety of applications like on pizza, or in pasta, or as a marinade for meat.  I made a large jar of Olive Pesto this year and it became Olive Pesto Chicken.

Here's the how to:  To make the pesto, I pulsed together 2 cups of basil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 cups kalamata olives, 2/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 1/2 cup romano cheese.  I placed 4 split chicken breasts into a ziplock baggie with 1 cup of the pesto, and put it in the frig overnight. 

Grill the chicken til done(about 40 minutes.)   The chicken was so juicy and flavorful.

Thanks for popping in and cooking with me.  I'm linking up to Gluten-Free Homemaker's Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

8 comments:

  1. My basil's full of holes. I thought basil was a no brainer to grow or maybe it is and I have no brain :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always make the BEST stuff! MMMMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing. I definitely need a use for kalamata olives that my kids will eat. Mostly, I'm jealous of your basil crop, as mine did nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell the basil and chicken from here:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pesto sounds amazing! I love kalamata olives -- or any olives, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would b e proud of me because I am sticking with the GF diet! This looks delicious. I am getting caught-up on reading your blog today!

    (recovering from nasty stomach bug)

    xoxxoxo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little basil plant is such a star and I use her all the time. Thanks for sharing.

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chicken looks so fingerlincking good. I feel like starting up the bbq right now.

    Thank you for sharing this at Foodie Wednesday.

    Hope you can come by this week again and share another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!