Friday, May 6, 2011

DIY Cookbook Shelves

While not a complete cookbook addict like some, I've collected a respectable number of cookbooks throughout the years.

One of the things that we failed to plan for in our new kitchen was cookbook storage.  I was staring at the big blank expanse of cherry on the side of our pullout pantry(my baking pantry,) and a light went off in my head.  You can't tell in this pick, but there was a couple of inches to work with before the end of the wall.  Semi-custom cabinetry comes in standard sizes in 3" increments, you can customize the sizes, but it'll cost you.  So we just ordered our cabs short of the wall.

I quickly drew up a plan for Computer Genius, created a cut sheet, and we headed off to Lowe's to buy the wood.  We chose to build this out of poplar, because it has a clearer grain then pine, but is much cheaper than maple.  This was basically built like a ladder with doweling used to connect it all together.  CG forgot to take pics of the construction process, but it was pretty basic.  One of the quirks of this assembly, though, was that the right side needed to be a narrower depth to account for the face frame of the cabinet.
Poplar is a soft wood, and like pine will take a stain with some blotchiness.  To avoid that CG used Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner applied with a sponge brush.

CG then applied 2 coats of Minwax stain in walnut also with a sponge brush.

Once the shelves were dry, he clamped it in place using spare pieces of wood to keep from getting clamp marks on the soft poplar.

He removed the upper door, and the items from the pullout pantry, and attached the shelf unit from inside the cabinet.

While my arms are ridiculously long, I can't actually touch the ceiling from the floor, so the top section of the bookcase was built with a 10" header.

Perfect for showcasing my "Boulangerie" sign.  I picked this up years ago for just a few dollars at TJ Maxx, and it hung over the entrance to our previous kitchen.  It's been in storage since we finished the new kitchen.  A boulangerie is a bread bakery, not to be confused with a patisserie(regular bakery.)  Kind of funny in a gluten-free household.

And here's the whole cookbook display.  Not a bad way to use up the last couple of inches on a cabinet run.

Wondering why the walnut stain?  Here's why.  Our cherry cabs have walnut pegs in the corner.  I fell in love with this door style and had to have it.  This is the Lynchburg Mission door available from Kraftmaid through Lowe's.

Thanks for popping in and DIYing with CG.  I'm linking this up to Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday and Just Between Friends is hosting a Point of View linky.

Stuff and NonsenseThe DIY Show OffPhotobucket Keeping It Simple

20 comments:

  1. The shelves are super practical and make a good display. I would not have thought there was enough space for books -- we're so oriented to storing them spines out. But very clever! We did something similar in my place for open shelving -- had a big more depth. It's so useful. Plus, it's a great place for your sign. Perfect fit! Thanks, as always, for stopping by. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like those shelves! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I have a ton of cookbooks from an Aunt that has passed away and this would be a great way to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous transformation. It might have started out of necessity but you have completely glammed up a boring gable. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it again! it's a very creative idea and fabulous execution. I think you may have started a new trend.

    Happy Mother's Day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea! I have the Babycakes cook book too, lots of great recipes in there..
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creatively clever. Wow, I really am so impressed with this project. The walnut adds just the right pizazz and the header is great. It looks as if it was totally planned; it's so perfect for the space and a much more interesting end than the plain panel. For a computer guy, your CG is very talented at carpentry projects. We have a computer genius type friend who tries, but seriously couldn't install shelves level to save his life.

    I think I need a sign like that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm finally catching up on Mel's Fancy Friday Blog Hop and have followed you via GFC.
    Happy Mother's Day! :-)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great idea for this space...I have 1/2 wall similar and i would love to do this...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful idea!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so clever. I have a ton of cookbooks (at least it felt like it when we last moved.) We plan to renovate the kitchen within a few years. I'll keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that the cookbooks are both handy and now decorative! Good thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So clever. Good for you! I love seeing the cover of the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea for decoration and cookbook! Thanks for linking this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. It's a great Mothers' Day present for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever idea. Love that it stores your cookbooks while showing them off at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely way to display your books and a good use of space, good idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I love the way you have them displayed and it takes up relatively little room. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoo hoo, I can't wait to show my sweetie this idea for MY birthday present! I love it, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!