Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Walnut Ganache Tartlets

No finished kitchen pics yet, mostly because it's been grey and dreary for days, but also because I've been busy, busy, busy making messes in my kitchen.  I made Walnut Ganache Tartlets to bring into school for our Staff Appreciation Luncheon today.
Photobucket

And last week I made approximately a gazillion White Chocolate Lemon Meringue Tartlets and Fresh Berry Mini-Pavlovas for a fundraiser Saturday evening.
Photobucket

Here's how I made the Walnut Ganache Tartlets for today.  I started by placing a generous cup of walnuts on a baking sheet and popping them into a 350 oven.  After about 10 minutes they are perfectly toasted and fragrant.  It's important to keep an eye on toasting nuts, because they go quickly from perfectly toasted to burnt.
Photobucket

I pulsed the nuts in my mini chopper, reserved 1/4 cup of nuts for decoration, and gave the nuts another couple of pulses for a fine chop.
Photobucket

I mixed in 2/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/3 cup white rice flour, 1/3 cup amaranth flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup arrowroot starch, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tbsps of lemon zest.
Photobucket

I cut in 12 tbsps of butter with a pastry blender,
Photobucket

and mixed in 2 slightly beaten eggs.  The mixture will look crumbly, but hold together if you ball it up.
Photobucket

I loosely fill an ungreased mini-muffin pan, and press the crumbs into the sides and bottom of each cup.
Photobucket

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Photobucket

Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.  You should be able to spin them out of the pan.  I've shared several recipes that use ganache before.  These tartlets only need about 1/2 of my linked ganache recipe, but I like to make a full batch each time and keep some in the frig.  It often inspires off the cuff recipes like my Creamcheese Cookies w/ Ganache filling.  While the tartlets are cooling I made a batch of ganache.
Photobucket

Spoon some ganache into each tartlet cup,
Photobucket

and sprinkle on the reserved toasted walnuts.
Photobucket

While the tartlets were baking, I had piped out several masquerade masks, because the theme of today's Staff Appreciation Luncheon is Masquerade.  A trick I use to keep multiple piped items the same size is to sketch it out on paper and slide the waxed paper over my drawing.  Each mask(or butterfly, or whatever,) will still look individual, but the last one won't be twice the size of the first one.  
Photobucket

Always pipe more decorations than you actually need, because after they're chill in the freezer, some might break as you peel them off the waxed paper.
Photobucket

After the ganache cooled and set up, I placed a mask in each tart.
Photobucket

Thanks for popping in and baking with me.
Gluten-Free Wednesdays button
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

5 comments:

  1. Your desserts are little works of art! I couldn't help but think they look like the ones made by fancy chefs here in Vegas in the really nice pasty shops on the Strip...like in The Paris Hotel or The Bellagio. Yours turned out beautiful, and I'll bet they were delicious too! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't cook but I can tell that that's a lot of work you put into those babies!
    They look great!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. Wish I was there to eat some of those. You are an awesome baker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy AND fancy!! All 3 of those goodies you made look absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!