Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions


1.  This year I resolve to do less and be more.  No, it's not the death knell for my blog.  Don't worry, I have tons of projects that I plan to work on and share with all of you.  What I mean is I'm not going to feel obligated to say yes to every single request for help.  I'm not going to stop volunteering, but I'm going to be a bit choosier so that I can give each volunteering opportunity a better me.  Do Less, Be More.  I like it.

2.  I resolve to cancel my gym membership.  What?!  Nobody quits the gym at the start of the year.  Nobody, but me.  SB received an XBox and Kinect from Santa this year.  I vow to play with my kids more.  If I cancel my gym membership, I'll have to play with the kids more just to get the cardio in.  I vow to run and jump around the family room with the kids, to say yes when WD asks if I want to toss the football around, to remember that I have them on loan for just a short time before I send them out into the universe and whatever else I'm working on can be set down for a bit.

3.  I resolve to get organized and purge.  People who know me personally are confused on this one.  Yes, I love baskets and bins.  Yes, I'm quick with the p-touch labeler.  But, my craft room is a disaster, the foyer closet is down right scary, my multiple closets are full to bursting, and it's all because I have too much stuff.  Nobody needs 85 pairs of shoes.  Not even me.  I vow to be brutally honest about what needs to stay in paring down everything in my home.  This one's going to be baby steps.  I'll start with boxing up 10% and see how it goes from there.

4.  I resolve to stop flipping out and yelling at CG when he steps into the kitchen on party day.  This one's going to be a tough one for me.  I prepare for parties with carefully written lists.  The day of any party has me dancing a carefully orchestrated number of steps to ensure that every dish is plated and ready to go at just the right temperature when the guests arrive.  CG inevitably steps into the kitchen, because he's hungry, one of the kids is hungry, or he just wants to give me a hug and what do I do?  I flip out.  My head spins around like in some horror movie.  Someone ought to throw some holy water on me.  I vow to remember that nobody will care if only half of the hors d'oeuvres are plated when they arrive, but they will notice if CG is skulking around like a cat who just got its tail stepped on.

Are you planning any resolutions for this new year?  What changes are you hoping to make?  I'd love to hear what you all are planning for 2011.

2 comments:

  1. I think that mine would be variations of yours:
    1) Make more of every day...Don't let a day go by without appreciating and accomplishing, or knowing what the weather was like outside!
    2) Definitely give my kids more full attention and actively participate with them more. I so wish I could go back and cherish time with the older ones when they were younger.
    3) Yes, get organized and PURGE. But that's something I usually do when we're short on money and I want to live more simply. I regret having spent money on so much stuff and want to get rid of it. That's backward and I need to learn how to do it frontward!
    4) Entertain more. Worry less about the house or yard not looking spotless and having the "perfect spread" to offer and just have people over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not worrying about a spotless house or yard is definitely one I should put on my list. I get into such a frenzy when we entertain, that I drive CG absolutely nuts.

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!