Thursday, April 12, 2012

Modern Backsplashes

Sorry about the lack of posting lately.  The kids are on spring break, and I just haven't felt motivated to take any blogworthy pictures.  I do have several projects in the works, though.  Unfortunately none of them are ready for a reveal.  One thing I have been thinking about lately is modern backsplashes.  You've all seen glimpses of my backsplash with my barcode tiles.
barcode

And a view of the window area where I tiled all the way up the wall and into the window well.
Photobucket

Our friends recently moved into their gorgeous new build, and are busy putting all the finishing touches on their home.  I can't wait to give you a tour when it's all spit-shined and polished up.  One of the decisions that they still need to make is for the kitchen backsplash.  Their home is uber contemporary with strong horizontal lines, and mostly neutral, with fun pops of color.  Here's a sneak peek at their hickory floors that I'm totally in love with.
Photobucket

These are some backsplash ideas that I've come up with.  I love the look of back-painted glass and these images have been sitting in my ideas file from since before I had a blog.  If anyone knows the sourcing let me know.  I love the way the vibrant color of back-painted glass pops off the background.  Our friends also have white cabs, and I can't wait to share them, because they are truly special custom cabinetry.
Photobucket

Here's another example of backpainted glass in a setting with even more chutzpah.
Photobucket

Some amazing results could be had with backlit glass.
Photobucket

I love these Walker Zanger damask tiles.  Gorgeous!
Photobucket

The damask tiles got me thinking about wallpaper, and I love the idea of wallpaper as a backsplash.  It comes in such amazing designs that the sky is really the limit as to the graphic possibilities.
Photobucket
Image via

I love this Cole & Son's birch tree paper used as a backsplash.
Photobucket
Image via

Most of these papers aren't scrubbable, but a couple coats of polyurethane on top makes them kitchen ready.  Here's a link to a tutorial on how to cover wallpaper with polyurethane.

Thanks for popping in and checking out backsplash ideas with me.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the kids on break, it goes by fast. These are some great backsplash ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had our Spring Break last week. Hope you guys have a nice one! I enjoyed checking out all of the cool backsplashes--very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those floors! Pretty ideas! Wallpaper is a really cool idea! I'm more tradition and love tile though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fabulous ideas! :) hhhmmm.....which will be most kid friendly and durable??? :)

    ReplyDelete

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!