Monday, September 27, 2010

Sugar, Spice, Balls & Sticks all in one Weekend

This was another busy weekend away from home.  Thank goodness the BLA Fall Brawl was the last lacrosse tournament of the year, cuz I'm whooped and ready to spend a weekend sleeping in my own bed.

Every trip away from home starts with a baking marathon.  Whirling Dervish has been on a high protein, gluten-free diet for the past year and a half to help control his ADHD.  I like to make sure that he has options at tailgates and other people's homes so that means firing up the oven.  I don't label the goodies gluten-free so that WD doesn't have to feel self conscious(he is a teenager after all.)  Being able to casually grab items off of the tailgate table that others have been eating helps him to feel "normal."

For this last tournament I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Drop Cookies and White Chocolate Almond Muffins
The muffins were especially well received with the kind of noises you normally only here in the bedroom, so I'll share that recipe.

I melted a cup and a half of white chocolate chips with 6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.  After letting the mixture cool a bit I whisked in 6 egg yolks one at a time.  The mixture will look kind of gross as the fat(butter) separates out a bit.  Just keep whisking vigorously.  After the addition of the 3rd or 4th egg yolk it will start to come together and appear custard-like.  Whisk in 3/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca starch, 1/4 cup amaranth flour, and some xantham gum.  Add in some almond extract.  In a separate mixing bowl whip 6 egg whites adding 1/2 cup sugar till it's glossy and holds stiff peaks.  Sacrifice 1/4 of the egg white mixture to lighten up the yolk mixture.  Fold in the rest of the egg whites.  Fold in some more white chocolate chips.  Spoon batter into muffin tin with paper liners.  Sprinkle sliced almond bits on top.  Bake at 275 for 45ish minutes or until they look done.


We traveled to Rochester Friday and spent the evening with Computer Genius's family.  My boys got to spend some quality time with my brother on Saturday playing video games, and wrestling around.

While in Rochester on Saturday, we popped into our favorite architectural salvage shop the ReHouse.  We found these fantastic shutters, that CG will build a cabinet for.
For only $10, those babies had to come home with me.

Sunday we ran up to Buffalo for the all day lacrosse tournament.  The boys played well in weather that was close to perfect.  Here's a couple of pics of my Whirling Dervish in action.

And here he is versus a defender that looks like he might be carrying around 30 extra lbs of muscle.  Notice how much wider he's running on him?  I didn't raise a dummy.
And here's my Snuggle Bunny in the cheering section.
Always there for support.  Actions behind you little buddy.  Hmmm.  Cheer for your brother at yet another game?  Or play with the pretty girls?  Again, I didn't raise a dummy.

I hope you found time to play in the sun this weekend, too.

Linking to Remodelaholic's Recipe Swap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding your comments in my mailbox makes me all tingly inside, so thanks for commenting!